• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crucifixion anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    It varied, but binding was the more common approach.
    Oh, fascinating. I did not realise that.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      yep indeed - the two geezers who were crucified with Jesus were only tied to the cross

seems it was only JC who got nailed....
      Becoming a zombie and showing your old pals your rope burns would make a much less fun story.

Comment

That is part of the purpose of crucifixion.
        Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Nails weren't typically used as far as I'm aware, in ancient Rome at least.
        I was under the impression crucifixion was so bad because nails were used, and went right through the nerves in your wrists. Hence the word excruciating?

Originally posted by http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/excruciate
        Origin of EXCRUCIATE

Latin excruciatus, past participle of excruciare, from ex- + cruciare to crucify, from cruc-, crux cross
        First Known Use: circa 1570
        This might be an urban myth though... where's Gibbon when we need him?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I was under the impression crucifixion was so bad because nails were used, and went right through the nerves in your wrists. Hence the word excruciating?

Crucifiction was bad as you had to pull yourself up against the nails to breathe. Sometimes after 3 days the guards would take pity and break your legs.

My RE was not entirely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Catullus 85 (1st century BC) is interesting in this regard.

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
            nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

I hate and I love. Perhaps you ask why I do this?
            I do not know, but I feel it happen and I am torn apart.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Crucifiction was bad as you had to pull yourself up against the nails to breathe. Sometimes after 3 days the guards would take pity and break your legs.

My RE was not entirely useless.
              And the scourging that was often inflicted prior to crucifixion made this even worse as the scourged back rubbed up and down the wood.

Comment

It varied, but binding was the more common approach.

Edit: actually it appears that the evidence is unclear.
                Makes sense Nails were probably more expensive than rope. But Christianity on the whole seems pretty sure Jesus was nailed.

Trust you to take the edge off my joke.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Makes sense Nails were probably more expensive than rope. But Christianity on the whole seems pretty sure Jesus was nailed.

Trust you to take the edge off my joke.
                  I am glad to meet your expectations.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                    And the scourging that was often inflicted prior to crucifixion made this even worse as the scourged back rubbed up and down the wood.
                    There are suggestions that it was to induce a state of shock to make it easier to get the victim on the cross.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

There are suggestions that it was to induce a state of shock to make it easier to get the victim on the cross.
                      Must have been easier ways, why not just 'it 'im wiv an 'ammer?

Comment

Working...
                      X