• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question about God

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    God is an answer to who created man, but merely kicks the question further down the road

Isn't it a recursive paradox, if you believe in god who created god
    I always thought that man actually created god...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Imagine knowing everything. The poor old chap would probably die of boredom.

Seriously, I am not a religious sort, but contradictions and flaws in human ideas about god's existence are no more a proof that god does not exist than incorrect scientific theories are a proof that physical laws do not exist.

We cannot prove god does not exist but the existence of god, if man has no special place in the universe and if an individual's actions cannot influence his fate, is purely academic anyway. It is those ideas, the teaching of the established religions, that we should first address.

The questions that organised religions need to answer
      Last edited by xoggoth; 26 April 2014, 18:21.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        We cannot prove god does not exist but the existence of god, if man has no special place in the universe and if an individual's actions cannot influence his fate, is purely academic anyway. It is those ideas, the teaching of the established religions, that we should first address.

The questions that organised religions need to answer

So what is about the teachings of the FSM that we need to address ?
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

So what is about the teachings of the FSM that we need to address ?
          Heretic! How dare you question the existence of the FSM?
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            The paradoxes of omnipotence and omniscient have been known about and discussed for hundreds of years. Some Jewish philosophers have simply concluded that God isn't omnipotent. Others think that he has chosen to limit himself. Descartes considered that God could create a universe where mutually exclusive options exist. Others have suggested that questions such as "Can God create an object he cannot destroy" are semantically empty - devoid of meaning.

Rather like people who pose such questions, apparently breathlessly assuming they're the first ones to have thought about them.
            True but no harm in bringing others to think about them too, now is there?

Comment

Interestingly there is a version of Satanism that makes more sense than Christianity. Satan is not an opponent of god but rather his agent, a lesser being who sees things as men do and who is appointed by god to look after mankind. Explains at least why an omnipotent being who creates whole universes would give a damn about us looking at a friend's wife's bottom.
              bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                I'm going to take a leap and suppose that the general consensus is that God is omnipotent and omniscient. I've not cared about things like God etc for so long I can;t remember the details, but I think most people would agree with those two.

So here's the question.

Is it impossible (i.e. a logical contradiction) for God to be simultaneously both omniscient and omnipotent?

How can it have the power to do anything it likes when the course of all history - past present & future - is already set out? If god knows that in the future it will do X at time Y, then it cannot be empowered to do anything other than X at time Y, otherwise it's previous omniscience would have failed it.

Being compelled to perform an action and unable to do otherwise doesn't sound very omnipotent to me.
                Beginning and end is a human concept, as is time.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Interestingly there is a version of Satanism that makes more sense than Christianity. Satan is not an opponent of god but rather his agent, a lesser being who sees things as men do and who is appointed by god to look after mankind. Explains at least why an omnipotent being who creates whole universes would give a damn about us looking at a friend's wife's bottom.
                  Did you look at it or covet it?
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

The best rendition of Lucifer, IMO, is in Supernatural. I think the series does a good job of capturing the fact that he is, in "fact" (according to the myth, anyway) a fallen angel, and is reliant on using an angel's approach to getting his way, rather than that of demons. Even the good guy angels share in his disdain of humans, which are considered lesser beings, forged from earth rather than the heavenly fire they stemmed from.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                      I assume that you're talking about me. I'm sure you'd agree that the world would be a very primitive place if none ever asked a question that was already asked by another.

You sound defensive.
                      You sound like a teenager. If you really were interested in the answer you'd read some books by Hume etc. and use his arguments to confound your creationist relatives.

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                      God is an answer to who created man, but merely kicks the question further down the road

Isn't it a recursive paradox, if you believe in god who created god
                      Oh no - another question no-one ever asked before! What are we to do?

If you believe the big bang started everything, what caused the big bang? One answer to that question is that time began at the big bang. Talk of a cause implies a time (cause and effect only exists within a time framework). Therefore talk of what caused the beginning of time is meaningless. Exactly the same argument applies to the question"who created God". God created time. Therefore to ask who created God is exactly as meaningful as "why does 1 = 2 on the surface describe by five sided cube?".

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      Allow me to speak from recent personal experience...

Three weeks ago I was about to start a new gig. I'd been off contract for quite some time, so a good, clean, stress-free start was paramount. Ease myself into it, sort of thing.

Monday morning arrives. I go to get the motorcycle out of the shed.

Can I find the shed key? Can I fook. And I've never, ever mislaid the shed key before.

I spend thirty minutes visiting every location around the house and garden that I'd touched in weeks - all the while screaming aloud, "Good God, where's the f**cking shed key!"

Were my pleas answered? No.

I do not believe God actually knew where my shed key was.

Omniscient my arse.

(Ps. It turns out I'd dropped it on the drive whilst doing some weeding and a neighbour had placed it on top of my garden gate.)
                      God did know where you key was. He just wasn't telling you.

Here's a problem with omniscience. If God is omniscient, then he knows what I am going to do. Do I therefore have freewill? If I don't then how can I be held responsible for my actions? Re-cast in a non-theological framework, the same issue is "If the universe is deterministic, how can I have freewill".

And a problem with omnipotence. If God is all powerful, then could he not have created a universe in which free-will exists but no-one ever does anything that harms anyone else? If not, then why not. If he could, then why didn't he?
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X