• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biking it for unfit overweight lumpers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    How - 2.2 miles in 20 mins is just under 10 minute mile pace - a relaxed run for most people. 2.2 miles in 15 mins is just less than 9mph average on a bike, which should be easily sustained on a road even if his fitness isn't great. Obviously he'll have to suck it and see, and maybe he has 15 sets of traffic lights to get through or something, but the point I was making is that it should in no way take 20 minutes or more and certainly not the 45 he (tongue in cheek) alluded to.

What's a manger?
    If you're already unfit starting to jog at 10kmph for 10 minutes is not helpful, let alone 20mins. It also depends a little on your stride of course, but ignoring that, I'd settle for starting between 7-8kmph to start with. It's much much better running slower for longer than running quicker for less, both on body and mind. And moreover you're likely to go back to it days later.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      If you're already unfit starting to jog at 10kmph for 10 minutes is not helpful, let alone 20mins. It also depends a little on your stride of course, but ignoring that, I'd settle for starting between 7-8kmph to start with. It's much much better running slower for longer than running quicker for less, both on body and mind. And moreover you're likely to go back to it days later.
      I'm not sure what point you're making, or maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying he could or should start jogging it instead of bike riding - I was saying that running 2.2 miles in 20 minutes is an "average person" type pace, meaning that achieving it on a bike (Regardless of fitness, within reason) should be easy.

And I still (genuinely) don't know what a manger is?

Comment

I'd run behind her too. I'd keep up though.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm not sure what point you're making, or maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying he could or should start jogging it instead of bike riding - I was saying that running 2.2 miles in 20 minutes is an "average person" type pace, meaning that achieving it on a bike (Regardless of fitness, within reason) should be easy.

Neither do I. It was meant to read manager.

My point is it's always better to start slowly when it comes to exercise and not compare yourself to others. Do what's right for you.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My point is it's always better to start slowly when it comes to exercise and not compare yourself to others. Do what's right for you.
            Ah - I'll blame my illness for being dense. And aye, couldn't agree more with that - I can't view the video, but I can take a guess what it's like. I remember being persuaded to go out for a run with an ex-para mate of mine - I wasn't "unfit", but he absolutely destroyed me. From then on, we stuck to things like interval training where you can work on a personal best effort basis.

But I'm confident that PC could easily achieve that ride in a reasonable time. Running is a lot harder than cycling over the same road distances.

Comment

Neither do I. It was meant to read manager.

Ah - I'll blame my illness for being dense. And aye, couldn't agree more with that - I can't view the video, but I can take a guess what it's like. I remember being persuaded to go out for a run with an ex-para mate of mine - I wasn't "unfit", but he absolutely destroyed me. From then on, we stuck to things like interval training where you can work on a personal best effort basis.

But I'm confident that PC could easily achieve that ride in a reasonable time. Running is a lot harder than cycling over the same road distances.
              Never mind all that; who's this 'Big Sus' woman, what's her phone number and why don't all women have a backside like hers?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Never mind all that; who's this 'Big Sus' woman, what's her phone number and why don't all women have a backside like hers?
                There's always some fine parabolas to be admired in the park at this time of day.

Comment

Agree first few times will be hard work, after a week or so (if your bum can recover) you will probably be up to 10mph easily over that distance. My preteen did 10 miles a couple of weeks ago off road for 10 miles its not hard. Assuming its decent road without too many stops then its probably about right.

I had John the Saffa & Mudskipper to break me in, PS just needs to take it slow at first. Oh and you can never have too many lights or reflective material when commuting!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Mich would?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a trough for animal food. They put Jesus in one when he was born.

Or maybe they didn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X