• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not on contract? How very dare you!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not on contract? How very dare you!

So we are all familiar with the red tape nightmare that has become the process of "onboarding" as our friends in the recruitment industry like to call it. I understand the need to apply a certain amount of scrutiny to protect against fraudulent applicants but really it is getting beyond a joke now.

The bit that gets me most agitated is the "Why were you not working from July 2002 to August 2003" type questions, along with a new requirement that is even more annoying that some professional individual verifies the reason you give for this despicable crime. Seriously, what if any reason you would supply along the lines of "Not in Contract" would have any reasonable bearing on the process?

Every time I start a new contract it gets worse, I actually think there will come a day when I'm asked to give references from my nursery school year.

Being off is no big deal.
    Holidays, training, etc.

However, if you were detained in a correctional facility, or were at a "training camp" in Pakistan, that gap takes on some importance.

It would be remiss if the gap, if significant, wasn't investigated.

Comment

What were you doing from July 2002 to August 2003?

Answer honestly, your CUK badge depends on it.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
        Holidays, training, etc.

However, if you were detained in a correctional facility, or were at a "training camp" in Pakistan, that gap takes on some importance.

^^ This.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Holidays, training, etc.

Who, if blessed with even a modicum of common sense would give any reason likely to raise eyebrows.

Who decides what a significant gap is and more importantly, what business is it of anyone to make judgements about someone based on subjective criteria?

I wonder how many contractors who have got through the interview stages, been offered the role and then the offer withdrawn for not supplying an acceptable reason for not being in work over the past 5 (and ever increasing it seems) years.

A cynic might suggest that far from being driven by the need for a robust verification process, this madness might have something to do with the screening agency making more revenue for carrying out more and more pointless procedures?

Comment

As silly as it may sound, what's stopping anyone from filling the gap with bullshat by stating they worked for some outfit which has since gone bust such as Comet?
            "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

The fact that you thought it acceptable to leave a whopping great hole in your CV begs for further questioning IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
                So we are all familiar with the red tape nightmare that has become the process of "onboarding" as our friends in the recruitment industry like to call it. I understand the need to apply a certain amount of scrutiny to protect against fraudulent applicants but really it is getting beyond a joke now.

The bit that gets me most agitated is the "Why were you not working from July 2002 to August 2003" type questions, along with a new requirement that is even more annoying that some professional individual verifies the reason you give for this despicable crime. Seriously, what if any reason you would supply along the lines of "Not in Contract" would have any reasonable bearing on the process?

Every time I start a new contract it gets worse, I actually think there will come a day when I'm asked to give references from my nursery school year.
                They always say its to check you've not been in prison but nowadays that is easy enough to find out anyway, as for the professional verifying you its a PITA as I don't use an accountant anyway
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  The fact that you thought it acceptable to leave a whopping great hole in your CV begs for further questioning IMHO
                  WHS
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Why wouldn't you? What would you deem an acceptable gap, I know there will be three month gap after I finish this contract before I will want to work again
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X