• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you ever see yourself as a good contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Not upset - just trying to combat those faithful followers of yours!
    Don't you start that as well lol. The only other person towing that line is Psychobabble and I am sure you don't want to be part of that camp. Maybe they are capable of making their own conclusions from your posting history without me possibly?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Don't you start that as well lol. The only other person towing that line is Psychobabble and I am sure you don't want to be part of that camp. Maybe they are capable of making their own conclusions from your posting history without me possibly?
      toeing
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Define "good".

Do you mean that you are good (or better) in the work that you do, or are you looking at the broader picture of how you manage your business?

For example, I work with a guy at the moment who is a sharp cookie in terms of his delivery and technical skills (which is what he is paid for). However, I shudder when I think about how he manages his business - relies on the accountant to do everything, doesn't really think about IR35, never does a contract review, doesn't worry too much about finding work because he's fallen from one good project to another....

And yet, I'd still refer to him as a good contractor because the work that he does is top rate.

Conversely, a former colleague was absolutely hopeless at the actual work, and lazy to boot. Yet he finds work, manages to string it out for a bit, and then moves on to the next project. He's rarely out of work, and so quite successful - but I wouldn't have him on any of my projects because he doesn't do anything. So I wouldn't describe him as a good contractor because the standard of his work is far below what I would want as a hiring manager.

(Answer to the original question - yes, I see myself as a good contractor, though)
        That's a fair point. I guess the question is from the Clientco's perspective - are you worth the £400 or £500/day they are paying you? Do they get value for money?

Comment

yes indeed.....

Comment

That's a fair point. I guess the question is from the Clientco's perspective - are you worth the £400 or £500/day they are paying you? Do they get value for money?
            Absolutely. 28000 CUK posts doesn't come cheap, you know!
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Absolutely. 28000 CUK posts doesn't come cheap, you know!
              There should be a CUK calculator to take into account the avg daily rate and avg time it takes to make a post, so you know how much ClientCo money has been spent by CUK!

Comment

Value for money or get the job done to the end?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is a critical point. It is easy to think about value for a day's work, but it is value over the whole contract that is important. It doesn't matter much if you give good value for a couple of weeks if you bail out at the critical moment.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

s**t. you are never gonna let this go are you?

Ok I admit it, I am a filthy scum of a contractor who bails for more money and has no morals.

Of course both go hand in hand - a value for money contractor will also be reliable.

Comment

s**t. you are never gonna let this go are you?

Ok I admit it, I am a filthy scum of a contractor who bails for more money and has no morals.

Of course both go hand in hand - a value for money contractor will also be reliable.
                      Don't bail out. It's an interesting discussion, because, while the above post is correct, what does it mean for whether or not you're a good contractor?

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                      X