• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you ever see yourself as a good contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I guess it depends how long it takes for you to deliver something and whether or not you get better offers coming along? How long is a piece of string?
    That is the difference. I don't jump ship mid contract.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Contracting is a business. Therefore a good contractor is a rich contractor.
      And that is all there is to it.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        That is the difference. I don't jump ship mid contract.
        For God's sake! Why have you spun this topic into a NWP2C bashing session? Does it give you that much pleasure?

The question is not how many times you have jumped ship or how many contracts you have done in 4 years. Read the subject.

Comment

dozens? Try 7 in 4 years, 2 of them being at the same place.
          Day 2 of the current gig, Day -4 of the new gig
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Contracting is a business. Therefore a good contractor is a rich contractor.
            And that is all there is to it.
            Fair do's I don't doubt I am good at marketing myself.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Day 2 of the current gig, Day -4 of the new gig
              You are referring to yourself right? Started a gig then decided it's not for you. That happened to me once in a Media company in Manchester.

Comment

After over 4 years in contracting I have been lucky enough to work several really good contracts and feel like I have achieved a lot. But I feel I have a mental barrier (no matter how many complements I would receive) as to seeing myself as a good contractor. All the evidence points to me being pretty good at what I do but I never feel that way? I was just wondering if it is just me that feels this or does there come a point where you have 100% confidence in yourself and believe you really are amongst the best at what you do.....

I always look at myself as being either lucky to get a good contract/extension or the work I do as being easy, though perhaps this is just a negative on my side.

Genuine question here.
                For God's sake! Why have you spun this topic into a NWP2C bashing session? Does it give you that much pleasure?

The question is not how many times you have jumped ship or how many contracts you have done in 4 years. Read the subject.
                You bail out when the going gets tough, or when something better comes along. That's not a good approach to business, and your reputation will probably catch up with you.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Fair do's I don't doubt I am good at marketing myself.
                  I didn't say successful contractors are good at marketing themselves, I said they are rich.

Are you rich? After 5 years of contracting you should be on your way to getting rich through investing your income.
                  Mind you it was much easier to do that in the 90s.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes, because clients want to keep me around (usually until the money runs out).

As for the secondary question, I don't regard a contractor disappearing, leaving projects delayed or at risk, as good. As such, in my eyes, any contractor who leaves mid-contract would fail the question...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                      You bail out when the going gets tough, or when something better comes along. That's not a good approach to business, and your reputation will probably catch up with you.

Comment

Working...
                      X