• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you ever see yourself as a good contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That's a good question.

I've done 34 contracts / 4 perms. Three of these contracts turned to perm.

As a contractor I'm top notch. I know exactly what the client wants, can pre-empt it, deliver it and deliver additional value add because I've pre-empted what comes next. As a contractor I make other people look good and so for the money the client gets the kudos and you sit in the background.

On the flip side after a while that becomes grating and so realised I was actually better than the majority of clients I worked for, so now become the client. Irritatingly though, I'm still happy for others to take the kudos. Even mentioned this to by boss who I've worked with before bemoaning the number of times others jump on the bandwagon of successful projects pushing themselves to the front for a scrap of meat. I've come to think of myself as a butcher, without me everyone will become a vegetarian.
    FTFY

Comment

I left uni in 1991 and I've been contracting ever since. I consider myself to be a good contractor and judge this by the amount of time I'm out of work. I think i've only been between contracts for about 4 months in total out of the last 14 years.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
        I left uni in 1991 and I've been contracting ever since. I consider myself to be a good contractor and judge this by the amount of time I'm out of work. I think i've only been between contracts for about 4 months in total out of the last 14 years.
        4 months total? That doesn't sound like much fun. I don't do this so I can work more than a permie

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          4 months total? That doesn't sound like much fun. I don't do this so I can work more than a permie
          I said time out of contract. I take time off within contracts for holidays etc, but I mean 4 months where I've not had a contract in place.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            You're not very good at maths though are you.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oh the ironing.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

And you are obviously not very good at English - care to point out where I said that I'd had 4 months off since I started contracting? I said in the past 14 years. The reason I picked 14 years is because before 2000 I had a really bad year and it was the year that forced me out of support into the VBA work I do now.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                X