• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract of the Day (Barclays)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
    Is there a list anywhere of known Bob Agencies/Consultancies ?
    Avance
    Bright Purple
    Silverlink

There's three...

Comment

A mate of mine worked for a Bob consultancy doing a role in Prague. They decided not to pay his last invoice. They paid all the ones up to that point because they needed him on site, but as soom as he wasn't needed on the project they witheld payment. I don't know if he ever got the money out of them.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
        A mate of mine worked for a Bob consultancy doing a role in Prague. They decided not to pay his last invoice. They paid all the ones up to that point because they needed him on site, but as soom as he wasn't needed on the project they witheld payment. I don't know if he ever got the money out of them.
        HA! Same happened to me! They used some spurious excuse about losing face with the client or something?

Sounds like a well worn tactic. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I've been here before and I feel your frustration, but honestly you could have saved 5 minutes of your life by just pressing delete. Talking back encourages them.

You are most likely abusing an ex-receptionist or call centre worker who thinks they have hit the jackpot. The people who really deserve our derision are the owners of these retarded sweat shops.
          Well that's what I did, the below was an email from the agency's owner signing off by The Team

Hi Eirikur,

Following on from our earlier communication, I can confirm that we have identified a position with <huge dull consultancy> that closely matches your current skills and salary/career expectations. We will be submitting your CV to <huge dull consultancy>, to be considered for this and similar positions.

We will contact you the minute we have feedback from them with regards to your application.

If you prefer us not to submit your CV, please let us know immediately on the contact details below.

Kind regards,

The Team
          Dear Team, I hope this is a mistake, I have had no conversation with you and I have not given you permission to submit my details. I have even told you in an earlier conversation, that I do not want to work for <huge dull consultancy> at all. If you did put me forward I demand you undo this immediately. I do not wish to be contacted by your agency anymore as you and your colleagues have demonstrated an extreme high level of amateurism over and over again, which was again confirmed by other emails sent by yourself earlier tonight.
          Of course a few days later they tried to contact me again, their emails now go directly into spam and I blocked their numbers

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            I have found that Barclays rates fluctuate greatly from month to month. No doubt they will pickup again once the next lot clear out and find better contracts. Though some part of me misses Radbroke, I am glad I got out after 18 months, hopefully a long break before I return to the place once more....
            +1 to this ^
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              Not surprised by this. Why will they pay him when he is not needed anymore and hence doesn't have anything to do?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                Not surprised by this. Why will they pay him when he is not needed anymore and hence doesn't have anything to do?
                Seriously, which part of that post are you struggling to grasp?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  +1 to this ^
                  It mystifies me why banks, who have loads of money, want to cut corners and make savings with important items like (for example) database administration. They seem to put a huge effort into saving marginal amounts with contractors, while bathing other parts of the workforce in cash. The last year or so has seen several IT disasters at the banks (including Barclays IIRC). Why are they rumaging round the bargain bin ? Or is it the agencies taking a rather too big wack ?

Other businesses seem to pay more than banks now. A bog standard IT company will pay more then the above just for you to work on their non-production systems.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Seriously, which part of that post are you struggling to grasp?
                    The bit called Mutuality of Obligation.

When they say they don't need you, do you expect them to give you work? And when you are not given any work, do you expect to be paid?

Please help me understand how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      It mystifies me why banks, who have loads of money, want to cut corners and make savings with important items like (for example) database administration. They seem to put a huge effort into saving marginal amounts with contractors, while bathing other parts of the workforce in cash. The last year or so has seen several IT disasters at the banks (including Barclays IIRC). Why are they rumaging round the bargain bin ? Or is it the agencies taking a rather too big wack ?

Other businesses seem to pay more than banks now. A bog standard IT company will pay more then the above just for you to work on their non-production systems.
                      WHS.

Current client is a trading company. Everything IT related has been handed to a dozen different Bob outsourcing companies, where cost is the only thing they measure. The systems are falling on their arses and the traders are on the verge of throwing the computers out of the window as nothing works and support is non existent.

Contractor headcount is down 90% and no permies are hired.

Profits are falling like a stone off a cliff and they will be bankrupt in a couple of years, the core business can no longer function, but hey they've saved a few quid in IT.......

Comment

Working...
                      X