• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family cars....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I know, its a bastard isn't it? I think I'll work on getting my next contract for the EU and then I can upgrade to something swanky
    Well I know a guy who spent 7 years contracting at Nato in Brussels and is semi-retired at 40, thanks to the proceeds. I don't think the EU piss money away quite so easily as Nato though.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Well I know a guy who spent 7 years contracting at Nato in Brussels and is semi-retired at 40, thanks to the proceeds. I don't think the EU piss money away quite so easily as Nato though.
      Putin pays more for info from NATO HQ than EU HQ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I know people at ESA who did the pretty much similar and they weren't even contractors although some of the contractors back in the 80's made a fortune...I didn't due to coming in at the tail end of the glory years
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Ultimately I realised that it was the cost per mile and relative value that mattered, even when earning > £400/day you don't want to be paying close to £1/mile for running a BMW. doing 120 miles a day in an already depreciated Golf made the most financial sense, I am just surprised by how good a car it is compared to my old one. Now when we come to buy a 4x4 it can be used by Mrs and won't cost much to run, especially if like suggested it is a Qashqai or the like.......
          Hang on... I thought you got a gig in the city so wouldn't be doing that kinda mileage now?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Hang on... I thought you got a gig in the city so wouldn't be doing that kinda mileage now?
            Did you not read my boomed thread? Guys at current clientco increased rate and contract duration. I had to turn down that offer (didn't really like the place in town much anyway). I am happy I did as the commute is a pleasure in the new car. Happy to do it for the next 3 months (and beyond I really hope!)

Also read the peed off agent thread! You replied in it for God's sake!
            Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 4 April 2014, 13:57.

Comment

Did you not read my boomed thread? Guys at current clientco increased rate and contract duration. I had to turn down that offer (didn't really like the place in town much anyway). I am happy I did as the commute is a pleasure in the new car. Happy to do it for the next 3 months (and beyond I really hope!)

You two should get a room. The man luuurve is obvious.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I don't tend to read your boomed threads to be honest.. and in the agent you stated 'This one time I' which sounds more like you just recounting an old story.

And reading your boomed thread I wasn't the only one confused about the situation.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 4 April 2014, 14:05.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't tend to read your boomed threads to be honest.. and in the agent you stated 'This one time I' which sounds more like you just recounting an old story.

And reading your boomed thread I wasn't the only one confused about the situation.
                  Sure. Anyway is it all clear now? I have stayed at current gig as rate is too good even after taking into account the mileage involved..... Getting the new, more comfy car also means I am more likely to look for Leeds gigs (though I just wish they would build that damn tunnel).

Comment

Working...
                  X