• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farage vs Clegg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farage vs Clegg

Nigel Farage says Nick Clegg is 'European at heart' - Telegraph

Are 'European' and 'British' mutually exclusive concepts?

Go ahead. You probably know what I think anyway.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Nigel Farage says Nick Clegg is 'European at heart' - Telegraph

Are 'European' and 'British' mutually exclusive concepts?

Go ahead. You probably know what I think anyway.
    What is "European"?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      What is "European"?
      Good question, because it can mean almost anything (as can 'British') but you tell me what you understand it to mean, then answer the question; are 'European' and 'British' mutually exclusive (as Mr Farage seems to believe)?

Comment

Good question, because it can mean almost anything (as can 'British') but you tell me what you understand it to mean, then answer the question; are 'European' and 'British' mutually exclusive (as Mr Farage seems to believe)?
        Unless we define both then I am afraid it is a non question. My understanding of a "European" is someone identified by nothing other than the "EU dream" of an EU Utopia where every town in europe is dominated by Tesco or Carrefour and everywhere is homogenised under a single cultural and economic identity.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Unless we define both then I am afraid it is a non question.
          So Farage is making a non-statement when he says Clegg is primarily a 'European'?

Comment

What is "European"?
            Not shaving your armpits and wearing speedos?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So Farage is making a non-statement when he says Clegg is primarily a 'European'?
              He is using it in a derogatory manner. I assume he means it as anyone who believes in the integrity and primacy of the EU concept and all of its institutions and practices. it also means someone who forsakes his own national identity or national interests. This is how I view anyone who calls themselves "European"

Comment

He is using it in a derogatory manner. I assume he means it as anyone who believes in the integrity and primacy of the EU concept and all of its institutions and practices. it also means someone who forsakes his own national identity or national interests. This is how I view anyone who calls themselves "European"
                So you do think that European and British are mutually exclusive concepts?

Comment

it also means someone who forsakes his own national identity or national interests. This is how I view anyone who calls themselves "European"
                  That would exclude Germans (and possibly French).
                  If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

So you do think that European and British are mutually exclusive concepts?
                    They can be depending how you mean it. If you view "European" as synonymous with "Continental", which is one common interpretation.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X