• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unfortunate Misunderstanding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    A muslim father rang the UK Female Genitalia Mutilation helpline, to enquire the best way to get his two daughters done. It has been called an unfortunate misunderstanding

How the heck did this country ever come to this ?

very definately NSFW
    As in "Not Safe For Women".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Fairly balanced factual explanation Female genital cutting fact sheet | womenshealth.gov

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        You didn't expect me to read the whole thing, did you?
        There was a bit about flower arranging at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          This is how :-

Islamic law is adopted by British legal chiefs - Telegraph

I am a great believer that one should have any religious belief one wants. And (controlled)immigration is a good thing. But imagine going to Saudi and asking for Christian laws to be applied.....
          That story is about making a will. As I can already leave my fortune to a cat's home rather than my family it's a bit of a non story.
          Not really a none story. This is the important point.
          Lady Cox said: “Everyone has freedom to make their own will and everyone has freedom to let those wills reflect their religious beliefs. But to have an organisation such as The Law Society seeming to promote or encourage a policy which is inherently gender discriminatory in a way which will have very serious implications for women and possibly for children is a matter of deep concern.”
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Not really a none story. This is the important point.
            Lady Cox said: “Everyone has freedom to make their own will and everyone has freedom to let those wills reflect their religious beliefs. But to have an organisation such as The Law Society seeming to promote or encourage a policy which is inherently gender discriminatory in a way which will have very serious implications for women and possibly for children is a matter of deep concern.”
            And this is why I say thank God for the ECHR. Any will that is based on Sharia principals and tries to impose gender discrimination will be thrown out by the wise judges in Strasbourg.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
              And this is why I say thank God for the ECHR. Any will that is based on Sharia principals and tries to impose gender discrimination will be thrown out by the wise judges in Strasbourg.
              But why do we need ECHR to fight this one?

Why can we as human beings not stand together against backwards, archaic dangerous practices and put pressure one the perpatrators to stop?

Oh sorry yeah I forgot they are Muslim so it's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                A muslim father rang the UK Female Genitalia Mutilation helpline, to enquire the best way to get his two daughters done. It has been called an unfortunate misunderstanding

How the heck did this country ever come to this ?

very definately NSFW
                Hang on, that's a non-UK far-right blog making an unsubstantiated allegation.
                Any further evidence this really happened?
                And was not, say, a prank? Details seem to be a little short.
                Last edited by sasguru; 24 March 2014, 08:48.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  This is how :-

Islamic law is adopted by British legal chiefs - Telegraph

I am a great believer that one should have any religious belief one wants. And (controlled)immigration is a good thing. But imagine going to Saudi and asking for Christian laws to be applied.....
                  I don't agree with accommodation of Sharia in UK law, but Qatari law makes accommodations for non-Muslims to buy alcohol and pork under licence, so perhaps Saudi wasn't the best example, unless of course it's one's role model state.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Hang on, that's a non-UK far-right blog making an unsubstantiated allegation.
                    Any further evidence this really happened?
                    And was not, say, a prank? Details seem to be a little short.
                    BBC reported the same story. The caller is one of the people being prosecuted.

Comment

BBC reported the same story. The caller is one of the people being prosecuted.
                      As they should be. However I would be vary of the motives of some people using this important issue for their own ends
                      Last edited by sasguru; 24 March 2014, 09:55.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X