• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Re-value house to get more equity out of it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As eek says, mortgage company valuers don't give a tuppeny **** if you've spent 20K on farrell and ball paint. Extensions etc are a different matter but if it's still a 4 bed semi like it was when you started out then there's not much room for movement.

Furthermore, as at 26th April, the new mortgage market review regulations kick in meaning it's going to be even harder to take equity to spend on other things.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      coming up to re-mortgage time for house that I bought nearly 2 years ago. Is it worth me getting a new valuation for it so I can a) extract some equity and b) so I can improve my LTV?

We have spent over 20k in renovations + house will have increased a little.

Anybody done this recently?
      If you do decide to remortgage to a new bank, they will carry out a survey to ensure your home is suitable security to lend on. This is often paid for by your new lender and will include a valuation.

If you decide to stay with your current bank they may do a desktop valuation which tends to be very conservative. As they have no way of knowing about the rennovations you have carried out, this may result in a higher rate being offered. I would therefore ask your bank to do an internal inspection and not rely on their house price index or carry out a drive by.

Comment

I am just fascinated that some folk on here seem to be unable to go through a week without posting reams of dull stuff about the minutiae of their life
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          I am just fascinated that some folk on here seem to be unable to go through a week without posting reams of dull stuff about the minutiae of their life
          I find it more worrying that I'm so bored I reply to the questions.....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

<cough>Guinea pig with antlers still on</cough>

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              yeah yeah I KNOW.......

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                and a red nose. So if this was a comic relief year Pogle would be fine.

Unfortunately this is a Sports Relief year....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  and a red nose. So if this was a comic relief year Pogle would be fine.

Unfortunately this is a Sports Relief year....
                  ....so I'm just unfit and embarrassed.

Comment

....so I'm just unfit and embarrassed.
                    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...-L_786613i.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                      If you decide to stay with your current bank they may do a desktop valuation which tends to be very conservative. As they have no way of knowing about the rennovations you have carried out, this may result in a higher rate being offered. I would therefore ask your bank to do an internal inspection and not rely on their house price index or carry out a drive by.
                      +1

If you brought a "doer upper" and some major work needed to be done, if you push them they will come out and check it was done to an adequate standard. Then they will raise the value to those around you regardless of how much you spent on it.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X