• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removing a squatter from my reserved train seat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If someone has a valid reservation it's not their problem the train company didn't advertise this, surely.
    But they didn't have a valid reservation. It's only a reservation if the reservation has been made.
    How can the train company's **** up, and the other customers associated misfortune, suddenly be my problem?

1 way the other guy has missed out on his reserved seat due to train companies mistake/negligence, and the other way I've missed out on my seat because I sat in the booby prize seat instead of another vacant one before it was taken - again the train company's error.

I'm less stubborn in the paper ticket ones because those can go astray. But on the trains with the lights instead I'll only give it up if someone clearly looks frail, or they can spin a convincing dit.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      But they didn't have a valid reservation. It's only a reservation if the reservation has been made.
      How can the train company's **** up, and the other customers associated misfortune, suddenly be my problem?

1 way the other guy has missed out on his reserved seat due to train companies mistake/negligence, and the other way I've missed out on my seat because I sat in the booby prize seat instead of another vacant one before it was taken - again the train company's error.

I'm less stubborn in the paper ticket ones because those can go astray. But on the trains with the lights instead I'll only give it up if someone clearly looks frail, or they can spin a convincing dit.
      If I've got a seat reservation ticket and you are sitting in that seat, you are going to get up.
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
        If I've got a seat reservation ticket and you are sitting in that seat, you are going to get up.
        Relax poppet. Not all of us have been IT nerds our entire lives.
        You'll cause yourself a mischief.

Comment

I shouldn't laugh but SpontaneousOrder be careful what train carriages you try your stance on.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Relax poppet. Not all of us have been IT nerds our entire lives.
            You will be surprised what some of the "IT nerds" on this site look like.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You will be surprised what some of the "IT nerds" on this site look like.
              She's right - normally I am a 6' tall rabbit, with a flick knife. Although I change when I get to work.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I shouldn't laugh but SpontaneousOrder be careful what train carriages you try your stance on.
                There was an ancient Greek philosophical riddle about what happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object. The answer is that the force stops and the object moves. If we apply this wisdom to this situation, then we understand that SO will indeed vacate the seat, but that GW is not going to take it.

Comment

to punch you and then sit down again?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    to punch you and then sit down again?
                    Another elegant solution.

Comment

You should have had the foresight to reserve a seat.

Comment

Working...
                      X