• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oldie Newbie needs Skills advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're not that old either - you've only got four years on my daughter...

Actually you are spot on the median age for all PCG members, and I read somewhere that the average age of all contractors is in the mid-40s. That a direct result of it being a trade where experience counts. the fact that most of us on here have a mental age in the low teens can be misleading.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You're not that old either - you've only got four years on my daughter...

Actually you are spot on the median age for all PCG members, and I read somewhere that the average age of all contractors is in the mid-40s. That a direct result of it being a trade where experience counts. the fact that most of us on here have a mental age in the low teens can be misleading.
      You're being unfair. We have en emotional age in the low teens.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Ah.

So long as you realise the inmates are all as mad as a box of frogs, you'll be ok.

Mind out for the ones who are as mad as a bag of hammers though, you can't trust 'em at all.
        Cheers!

68000+ posts zeitghost! Blimey thats some posting, even in 9 years. Ill watch out for the Bags of Hammers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bdpoop View Post
          Cheers!

68000+ posts zeitghost! Blimey thats some posting, even in 9 years. Ill watch out for the Bags of Hammers!
          Bleedin' obvious advice, Bdpoop, but are you fully exploiting LinkedIn?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I am not sure how connecting to as many fit birds as you can will help him finding gigs. It didn't do a thing for me and I am starting to think LinkedIn doesn't work.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fully exploiting it? Probably not. I am on there and have a fair few endorsements, have connected with plenty of ex colleagues (some of which would have been best kept burried and not many fit birds sadly) but depsite keeping it updated Ive never had much more than the odd email catching up with people from my past.

Im not sure its all its cracked up to be either unless Im missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdpoop View Post
                Fully exploiting it? Probably not. I am on there and have a fair few endorsements, have connected with plenty of ex colleagues (some of which would have been best kept burried and not many fit birds sadly) but depsite keeping it updated Ive never had much more than the odd email catching up with people from my past.

Im not sure its all its cracked up to be either unless Im missing something.
                Almost all my work is via existing contacts and I have become pretty shameless at contacting people I know via LinkedIn when looking for my next contract. It's reasonably effective.

Comment

Almost all my work is via existing contacts and I have become pretty shameless at contacting people I know via LinkedIn when looking for my next contract. It's reasonably effective.
                  Good stuff. I suspect I am probably like many users and dont really push it like you do.

One of my biggest issues recently was that I was a nominated supplier for IT services to two national franchises with 600 outlets. Long story short but a lot went bust then the vast majority went independant overnight after a law suit and I suddenly had no real way of keeping in touch. Linkedin may be a good way to resurect these contacts.

Comment

Bdpoop, with your experience in the trade the only reason I can think why you're not earning a decent income is because you might be perceived as a risk, somebody with more experience that can destabilize managers, recruiters, corporate whores.

I can see some similarities with my situation, although I am not in the mood of giving you any advice because lately I have taken many risks which are not paying off (yet).
                    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                    X