• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370: The Theories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curioser and curioser...

An entry from the Diego Garcia (US Military base 1000km north of Maldives) Facebook page 2 days before the flight went missing...

As we all know, Diego Garcia was on the pilot's flight simulator.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 19 March 2014, 21:01.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Aussies looking for stuff in the briny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26659951

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        OMG - I knew this day would come...

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Slightly off topic but is there a reason why planes still have access from the passengers to the cockpit, rather than there being a separate door for them and just a wall between the cockpit and passengers? If there is a problem then the stewards could press a 'please land ASAP' button etc.
          And if both pilots are incapacitated? Personally I'd like to have a go at landing the a/c rather than shooting like a dart into the ground. Don't worry I'll use my seatbelt.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            And if both pilots are incapacitated? Personally I'd like to have a go at landing the a/c rather than shooting like a dart into the ground. Don't worry I'll use my seatbelt.
            Isn't the plane, basically, f*cked if both pilots are out? Or is the 'tower talking you down' thing on films plausible? (I grew up as a child of an unemployed single parent in a Welsh valley - planes are not my thing!!!)
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Isn't the plane, basically, f*cked if both pilots are out? Or is the 'tower talking you down' thing on films plausible? (I grew up as a child of an unemployed single parent in a Welsh valley - planes are not my thing!!!)
              Depends on whose on-board. Landing on target is the tricky part.

More worryingly they're pilots out there so dependent on automated flight control for landing that even they would struggle to better the systems in place for a smooth landing.

Depends on the size of the a/c. Reduce power, some flaps (not the spoilers mind!), push the yoke forward a little, watch the speed at least 120 knots before touching the ground. Drop the landing gear at some point, and get ready to throw on the thrust reversers when all wheels are safely on the ground. Then take the keys out the ignition.

Comment

It's still plausible - it's been done recently with a small plane. Whether it would work depends on a range of other factors though. People with little/no training can land planes using simulators (real ones not flight sim on a PC) - sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  It's still plausible - it's been done recently with a small plane. Whether it would work depends on a range of other factors though. People with little/no training can land planes using simulators (real ones not flight sim on a PC) - sometimes.
                  exactly, didnt you ever watch Krypton Factor?
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Depends on whose on-board. Landing on target is the tricky part.

More worryingly they're pilots out there so dependent on automated flight control for landing that even they would struggle to better the systems in place for a smooth landing.

Depends on the size of the a/c. Reduce power, some flaps (not the spoilers mind!), push the yoke forward a little, watch the speed at least 120 knots before touching the ground. Drop the landing gear at some point, and get ready to throw on the thrust reversers when all wheels are safely on the ground. Then take the keys out the ignition.
                    What would you say the percentage chance of success would be for someone with no experience to safely land a plane like this just by being talked down?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

What would you say the percentage chance of success would be for someone with no experience to safely land a plane like this just by being talked down?
                      It's not that simple - far too many other factors at work to predict.

Comment

Working...
                      X