• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who benefits from migrants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I'm only condescending to ignorant twats like you, not to my staff.
    HTH
    Staff eh?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      The Government controls the immigration tap so they are totally to blame.
      No they don't as far as Eastern Europeans are concerned. Europeans are entitled to work in any other European country.
      And they have started controlling non-EC migration - the largest non-EC migrants are, in fact, Chinese students.

But don't let the facts stop your ignorant ranting - that's what thick saloon bar philosophers do.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        We are a nation of cheapskates and we get the low wage low skill economy we deserve. ...
        True, but surely most people realise you get the quality you pay for

If taxes were lower and people had more disposable income they could afford better quality British made things

Or maybe I'm being hopelessly idealistic, and most people would just buy more cheap tat
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          British manufacturing isn't dead.
          I know, but a lot of people moan about it.

I think the issue is one of perception. We don't make a lot of stuff people can actually buy in the shops. Fridges, saucepans and whatnot. 20-30 years ago a kitchen knife made of Sheffield Steel was considered a quality item, these days you'd be hard pressed to find one in a shop. It's not like Brits couldn't make knives to rival the Japanese, it's just that rather than do so someone decided the way forward for their now non existent brand was to target the low end of the market with the cheapest made in china tat they could buy in.

There are British brands but they tend to be very high end, Linn & Naim HiFi for example. I'm looking forwards to the day Mclaren launch a sensibly priced town car.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Staff eh?
            What do you want me to call them? The lower orders? Servants?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'd happily pay a local to do the cleaning (£9 per hour), building and decorating (£20 per hour), gardening (£9 per hour), child-minding (£11 per hour). At the moment these things are done for me by a Romanian, a Pole, an Indian and a South African respectively, at the rates specified.
              Given that all these rates are well above the minimum wage, why are there no locals applying for these jobs? We have bred a sense of entitlement among the British young (of all colours) so that they wouldn't be seen dead doing this sort of work.
              It's easier to tar everyone with the same brush, I pay a local to clean the house once a week, she also has a full time job and works her socks off.

Comment

No they don't as far as Eastern Europeans are concerned. Europeans are entitled to work in any other European country.
                And they have started controlling non-EC migration - the largest non-EC migrants are, in fact, Chinese students.

But don't let the facts stop your ignorant ranting - that's what thick saloon bar philosophers do.
                Tory MPs to challenge PM's stance on Romanian immigration - Telegraph

From January 1 next year restrictions on new arrivals from the two eastern European countries are due to lift, leading to as many as 50,000 Romanians and Bulgarians moving to Britain each year according to some estimates.
                A change to the Immigration Bill currently passing through Parliament is being proposed by Nigel Mills, the MP for Amber Valley in Derbyshire, and would see tighter controls remain until the end of December 2018.
                don't let facts get in the way of you ignorance and insulting behaviour.

we need a suitable smillie for highlighting AssGuru posts, oh look found one

Of course if the British Public had been consulted about the EU project many would have refused to extend from a common market to a free movement zone.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Of course if the British Public had been consulted about the EU project many would have refused to extend from a common market to a free movement zone.
                  Indeed, but what use is a common market to 'workers' if it only allows businesses the freedom to move production and delivery of services and goods around, but doesn't allow individuals the freedom to move to where the businesses are?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Indeed, but what use is a common market to 'workers' if it only allows businesses the freedom to move production and delivery of services and goods around, but doesn't allow individuals the freedom to move to where the businesses are?
                    Maybe a preferential visa scheme would be a better fit, allowing premium workers to move around the common market whilst allowing the local makeup of countries and the security of each nations borders to be protected?

Seems to work for Switzerland.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Maybe a preferential visa scheme would be a better fit, allowing premium workers to move around the common market whilst allowing the local makeup of countries and the security of each nations borders to be protected?

Seems to work for Switzerland.
                      But that locks the low end workers in their own countries and denies them the opportunities that migration offers to better their position; Switzerland actually has lots of foreigners doing low end jobs; 30 years ago that used to be Italians working in restaurants and factories, but perhaps less so nowadays as eastern Europeans take over the low end jobs and Italians have moved up the job market to the professions.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X