• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking on an X month contract when you have holidays booked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my first contract I told them on the first day that after the first two weeks I would be away for two weeks after my son was born, as arranged through the agent. They had no idea what I was talking about and the agent had lied through her teeth about discussing it with them. Luckily they did not mind enough to can me but I learned a lesson about trusting agents!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Take the gig, then send in a sub
      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Do the interview and mention it once they offer it to you, when you're reviewing the contract. Unless they ask during the interview about such things of course.

People know other people take holidays.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Yeh. Also make sure you get client to pay for your nuts to be sewn back on if they do go for it when your Mrs (if existing) lops them off when you tell her theres no holiday now! :-)
          Setting Expectations?

Being A Real Man?

MTFU, FFS

Comment

It's a five month contract for f***sake. You aren't going off to month 2.

Say nothing until they offer you the role.

Your deadline for work is either the end of your contract, or a week or two before it.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              At my first contract I told them on the first day that after the first two weeks I would be away for two weeks after my son was born, as arranged through the agent. They had no idea what I was talking about and the agent had lied through her teeth about discussing it with them. Luckily they did not mind enough to can me but I learned a lesson about trusting agents!
              I guess agents thinking:-

"hmmm if I tell client and they don't like it then they might can the whole deal and I lose my commision".

"I dont give a rats arse about the contractor so I won't say anything. Not my problem once the guys on site"
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I've never had a problem going on holiday, I just give the client reasonable notice and make sure it's not at go live or other times my absence might jeapordise anything.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Got the issue now. 12 month contract possibility.

Got a week hol booked in may but was also planning 2/3 weeks september (not booked yet). Leave in work for the mrs is a nightmare so usually its when she can have it.

Usually contracts I have are 3 months so 12 is new for me. I can understand how client would be keen not to have someone swan off for 2 weeks in a 3 month gig but surely if they want 12 months then they're gonna expect said contractor to take a few weeks off surely?

Anyone else done a 12 monther and experiences thereof?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Got the issue now. 12 month contract possibility.

Got a week hol booked in may but was also planning 2/3 weeks september (not booked yet). Leave in work for the mrs is a nightmare so usually its when she can have it.

Usually contracts I have are 3 months so 12 is new for me. I can understand how client would be keen not to have someone swan off for 2 weeks in a 3 month gig but surely if they want 12 months then they're gonna expect said contractor to take a few weeks off surely?

Anyone else done a 12 monther and experiences thereof?
                    Explain at the interview that you probably will want to take a couple of weeks in September because it's hard for your wife to get other time off work, but you'll discuss it when you have firmer plans in place.

They may well welcome the idea that you'll not have time away over the summer. If they are expecting you to work every day, every week, then find another gig.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Explain at the interview that you probably will want to take a couple of weeks in September because it's hard for your wife to get other time off work, but you'll discuss it when you have firmer plans in place.

They may well welcome the idea that you'll not have time away over the summer. If they are expecting you to work every day, every week, then find another gig.
                      Had a few 3 monthers where they have expected this. i.e. Any holidays booked aint interested in you. I had one where they said no days off at all. To be fair this was a 6 weeker for a specific time period so fair enough.

But for 12 months then I'd have thought they'd expect it.

Comment

Working...
                      X