• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standard Life make plans to leave Scotland for England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Personality aside. I'm not the only one who see the -ev side.
    Maybe their remarks focus on the negatives because like most other parties who remove themselves from the emotional "freedom" side of the debate and form a considered opinion of how it will actually affect them they can see that the negatives and risks outweigh the possible benefits.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I can't have an opinion because I don't live there?

The British press has plenty of opinions about the rest of the world. Should we ask them all the same question?
      Good points, well made.

one day at a time

Comment

Oh BTW

They insist they are not advising people how to vote but their remarks certainly focus on the negative.
        is an opinion expressed by the London based media you claim are putting a spin on everything. The actual remarks which "focus on the negative" are the work of a Scottish company, not the UK press.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Interesting when a people consider taking control of their own futures the opposition considers it a dumb idea.
          How will leaving the UK give the average Scottish person more control over their own future? Say compared to a person in Leeds or London?

I am a Brit and proud of it but I try not to be reactionary ( most of the time ). I just cannot understand what the average Scot would gain.

I can see what Mr Salmond and the SNP would gain. A bigger train-set to play with.

Scotland is a part of the UK, an Independent country. That has stood the test of time. Scotland has a free-press, democracy, independent legal system and police force. In short. Scotland has all the things that really matter.

People have a vote in their local, regional and national government. Sure sometimes you get a Thatcher and sometimes you don't like it. But guess what? Sometimes I don't like central government.

So what is gained? Seriously? The rest of the UK does not oppress the Scots. They are not an oppressed minority any more than I am for being English.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            How will leaving the UK give the average Scottish person more control over their own future? Say compared to a person in Leeds or London?

I am a Brit and proud of it but I try not to be reactionary ( most of the time ). I just cannot understand what the average Scot would gain.

I can see what Mr Salmond and the SNP would gain. A bigger train-set to play with.

Scotland is a part of the UK, an Independent country. That has stood the test of time. Scotland has a free-press, democracy, independent legal system and police force. In short. Scotland has all the things that really matter.

People have a vote in their local, regional and national government. Sure sometimes you get a Thatcher and sometimes you don't like it. But guess what? Sometimes I don't like central government.

So what is gained? Seriously? The rest of the UK does not oppress the Scots. They are not an oppressed minority any more than I am for being English.
            They will still see themselves as victims in or out
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If Standard Life said they were going to stay in Scotland come what may the story would not be reported in the London press.

Hell Londoners regard Birmingham as the frozen north! Inverness is where the polar bears roam..

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

One nation under the EU.

Comment

Calm down dear.

What "I'm on about" is that with one hand London media churns out negative stories of why Scottish independence is bad and on the other why UK independence from the EU. Despite many in Scotland being in favour of EU membership.

The hypocrisy is supernova flying TNT.
                  Is this the London media you are referring to?

The Scotsman

The Herald

Scottish TV News

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    but then have the choice of moving to the country you have just voted to split from
                    "emigrating" rather than "moving"

Independence = gates up both ways

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      Now I have bothered taking a look at this vote thing I simply get more and more confused:

What exactly are the plans?
                      Scotland becomes it's own state and then:

It has it's own currency?
                      Hence any Scottish business which deals anywhere outside of Scotland has to redo all of their accounting to take into account currency exchange rates on a currency which does not exist yet - how do they know whether they will have enough money to stay profitable?

If they keep using British currency then their fiscal policies are controlled by an external provider with different vested interests, surely this cannot be the plan? Apart from anything else the UK can always use this to bring Scotland to heel if it tries anything the UK does not agree with, hardly independence - also why would the UK do this?
                      Well I don't claim to have the answers but I'll give it a go.

Sterling will continue to be used with or without the rUK permission. That's a given. In the years that follow who can say. But I doubt a decade would pass without change. I have to remember people wanted devolution max to begin with. It has strong support. The current vote looks set to provide this, especially with the formation of a currency union.

I'm a UK business myself trading in euros & pounds. It's not difficult.

Why would they do this? Because UK based businesses would see their costs increase through currency exchange from Scottish imports, a policy their own government enforced. Hardly a vote winner for small business. This is biting off your nose despite your face type of attitude. Of course it would affect exports from Scotland too. That power to increase the costs for small business on both sides of the border exists with Westminster the day Scotland votes for independence. It makes no sense.

What happens to Scots who are not in Scotland? Are they still Scottish or are they now British?
                      This is a problem for my family. By example to your question, my wife is from Bath, my daughters born in Munich, myself Glasgow. My daughters & I are automatically entitled to Scottish citizenship. My wife not. But she can apply and wants to.

As I understand it Scottish expats retain their British passports. No one is coming round knocking on the door.

If they are British what happens when they go back to Scotland, are there any restrictions?
                      Not sure what you're asking here.

If they are Scottish what happens to their passports/visas?
                      Nothing.

What happens to Scottish workers abroad on UK admin which is now invalid?
                      I assume you mean after a vote for independence.

Nothing happens. It is not invalid until the passport expires. It's the reapplication process that will force the individual to decide.

What happens to Scottish workers with security clearance in the UK? Can you have security clearance if you are not from the UK? (genuine question, I cannot remember).

Has the EU decided anything one way or another? I know various people have said this and that but has anything actually been confirmed?
                      So my German company just sought UK SC for a job on behalf of a client in France. Again, as I understand it, for as long as I do not let it expire there is no problem. Current SC holders will not be affected as I understand it.

It is interesting. Generally SC is sought to check you're not in a position of influence by a 3rd party in which you may compromise the sensitive information. That position does not change until the systems in place which gather information about you becomes obsolete. So if an independent Scotland no longer shares credit information with rUK, and why would it, then the information gather about me may become inaccurate as the years pass.

I've been living in Germany for years, who knows what particular influence I've become particular too but my company is still able to obtain clearance from abbeywood. It is also worth noting SC is not always required. In some situations where it was required I've used an NDA instead.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X