• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JP Morgan building plunge victim was IT chief at bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    Er, back on topic rather than talking about autism....

Many of my friends did the IB contracting carousel from bank to bank from about 94/95 to the pre-Lehman's crash. In 1998 when I was on about £30k salary as a perm at a good consultancy, they were making £2,000 a week or more. I used to be in awe, partly because of the money but also I had this image of them working with really clever people on exciting projects and using the latest cutting edge technology.

It turned out that the truth was the complete opposite. My illusion was shattered and they worked with numpties, complete lack of any kind of direction or strategy, and (especially the women) had to put up with lots of crap.

I don't feel too sorry for them, several semi-retired in their early 40s; another couple I know have a penthouse in Docklands with his and hers matching Porsche 911s and so on.

One female friend used to work at Goldmans and said it was horribly sexist and appalling to work for. Trouble is the money was so good, she couldn't bear to leave. I saw her again recently for the first time in a few years and asked her if she was still there.

'No, I left, it got too much.'

'Are you still in IB?'

'Yes, I'm at JPM - it's even worse...'

So, it seems the lesson is greed is good so make the most of it but get out while you can
    Yep - sounds right (am female)

Thick-skin and cash-in

Comment

I am an Aspergers and take no offence to the willy waving / fanny flashing. 😇
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        I am an Aspergers and take no offence to the willy waving / fanny flashing. 😇
        Brillo suffers from Assburglers so I've been told.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Blindness is a physical disability. The argument that Autism is caused by bad parenting is nothing new. The Refridgerator mother theory has been around since the 1950s and is still pushed as a controversial theory today. Tony Humphreys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has been the latest Doctor to be villified. The thought is that cold parenting / unemotional parents can cause their children to manifest psychological issues is nothing new.
          My son has never had cold unemotional parents - if anything, because of his blindness I have tended to be over protective while my wife has tended to push him to try things that he might not have done otherwise. Because he is blind he's always had at least one of us on tap at any point in his life. Neither us us have been cold or distant in terms of his emotions - quite the opposite in fact!

Until you have had an autistic kid then you and the doctor you quote, simply don't know what they are talking about.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Blindness is a physical disability. The argument that Autism is caused by bad parenting is nothing new. The Refridgerator mother theory has been around since the 1950s and is still pushed as a controversial theory today. Tony Humphreys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has been the latest Doctor to be villified. The thought is that cold parenting / unemotional parents can cause their children to manifest psychological issues is nothing new.
            So it's an old wrong idea is it?

That makes it so much better.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              So it's an old wrong idea is it?

That makes it so much better.
              Autism is all the rage these days. It used to be that only 1 in 2000 had a diagnosis of Autism, now up to 1 in 88/90/100/150 have a diagnosis of 'Autistic spectrum'. Everyone loves a label, a little diagnosis for why little Timmy is a bit different to everyone else. Personally I think it's a load of bollocks. Psychological diagnosis is based on looking at the population at a whole and then trying to catalogue behavior based on the norm. Those at different ends of the scale must be autistic/narcissistic/ suffering from Aspergers / Schizo Eric

When you look at the population as a whole that's like saying Timmy is a bit short or has a high BMI or a high / low IQ. Who is the Joe Average that everyone is benched marked against?

Comment

Autism is all the rage these days. It used to be that only 1 in 2000 had a diagnosis of Autism, now up to 1 in 88/90/100/150 have a diagnosis of 'Autistic spectrum'. Everyone loves a label, a little diagnosis for why little Timmy is a bit different to everyone else. Personally I think it's a load of bollocks. Psychological diagnosis is based on looking at the population at a whole and then trying to catalogue behavior based on the norm. Those at different ends of the scale must be autistic/narcissistic/ suffering from Aspergers / Schizo Eric

When you look at the population as a whole that's like saying Timmy is a bit short or has a high BMI or a high / low IQ. Who is the Joe Average that everyone is benched marked against?
                And this all means that autism is caused by bad parenting does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  And this all means that autism is caused by bad parenting does it?
                  Over/under feed your kid, emotionally **** up your kid.

Ill let you decide. Least you'll get a label.

Comment

Yes, that's pretty obvious, but now tell us again; is autism caused by bad parenting?

Comment

So as my son IS autistic you are saying that we did not meet his emotional needs. You have literally no clue what you are talking about. You don't know me or my family or how whe have brought my son up yet you feel that you can cast about your half witted generalisations about him and us. I wouldn't wish an autistic kid on anybody, but for you I'll make an exception. Then, with actual experiance, you might have a chance of realising just how much sh1t you are spouting.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X