• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trip of a lifetime - I can't wait!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    The best flight I've ever had was in an RAF Nimrod, but it's also the most ill I've ever been on a journey.
    That's an oxymoron in my book!

The Nimrod was (I think it's no longer in service) basically a modified De Havilland Comet. Went on one of those once - charter flight courtesy of Dan-Air. Must have been a pretty old plane.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
      That's an oxymoron in my book!

The Nimrod was (I think it's no longer in service) basically a modified De Havilland Comet. Went on one of those once - charter flight courtesy of Dan-Air. Must have been a pretty old plane.
      Yep, they kept them going for a long time, and too long according to many. The flight was just a really unique experience - they're allowed down to 200' over the sea, and the manoeuvres they pull are well out of the remit of a standard airliner. Fascinating technology, too, though no doubt superseded - much of it was still secret so I didn't get to see it all, but they have one at Manchester airport that they power up, so I'd like to go there sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        That's awesome - I'd love a go in DC-10.
        One hour flight from Birmingham to Birmingham in February (22nd, 23rd, 24th) - £100 or £150 Three flights available each day, seats still available.

http://www.biman-airlines.com/about/...3-120f48108627
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          One hour flight from Birmingham to Birmingham in February (22nd, 23rd, 24th) - £100 or £150 Three flights available each day, seats still available.

News
          Daaamn

Comment

It used to go up from Filton on its test flights - that's over land.
            Sorry, should have mentioned supersonic overland...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

But I've never been on a DC10
              What is the attraction of flying on a DC10?

I had a DC10 flight 10 years ago and thought it was quite pleasant. But I can't quite put my finger on the reason why.
              I think the seats were a little wider than in normal cattle class.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post

News
                Oh no! Better not let me folks know.

Anyhow, I have 24 hours on the ground in Dhaka to take in the sights and have a few curries before being airborne. That'll be fun.

Comment

Oh no! Better not let me folks know.

Anyhow, I have 24 hours on the ground in Dhaka to take in the sights and have a few curries before being airborne. That'll be fun.
                  Well, it will be if your idea of fun is spending the whole duration of the flight glued to the karzi.

Comment

The first flight I ever took was in 1972 on one of these (with the same livery too)....

Comment

Last time I went on a DC10 I was sick twice. But I was three.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X