• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extreme Commuting Part Deux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I guess they discuss these things and still reach the same conclusion, or it's something which isn't even up for discussion due to upbringing - knackering yourself to provide for the family is just something you do.
    If he has to be at home during the week, then he's either in the wrong job or lives in the wrong place in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      For some people, being away from home/family is a last resort, they'd rather drive 3 hours to see their family for 1 hour a day.
      WHS. I'm doing almost the same sort of journey as described in the OP, but finish earlier. It's not forever, and staying over isn't an option. I figure it's worth it for our future/my CV.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yep; sounds to me llike an extreme stinge who's done all the calculations instead of thinking about what's actually better for him and the people around him. If the commute's more than 2 hours one way (and I include about 15 minutes break while driving) then I grab a hotel room, perhaps for a couple of nights a week. At the moment I'm staying away all week as it's a 2.5 hour drive to get home and it's winter. In summer I make that 2 nights. Sure, it costs a bit more than commuting but the costs are tax deductable and its better for my health to have a bit of free time and get a good night's sleep.
        Wouldn't even want to do that once a week.
        If he stayed in a hotel on outskirts, £60 a night possible. What he's doing expensive, flying would be cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          Wouldn't even want to do that once a week.
          If he stayed in a hotel on outskirts, £60 a night possible. What he's doing expensive, flying would be cheaper
          Flying is going to be £600 a month plus airport parking plus mileage plus Heathrow Express.

I'd still do the weekly commute rather than a daily one, regardless of the cost.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            Flying is going to be £600 a month plus airport parking plus mileage plus Heathrow Express.

I'd still do the weekly commute rather than a daily one, regardless of the cost.
            I agree, mean't cheaper than his train journey. Unless he's getting the cheapo stopper from Stockport

Comment

Nightmare traffic

As I was leaving the office I closed the door behind me. In the brief moment I stepped onto the pavement I retracted as a bike went whizzing along. Where's the police when you need them? The bike passed and I crossed the road to my apartment.

Stayed tuned for more nightmare commuting horror stories including 'tonight it snowed' and 'it was dark out'.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                As I was leaving the office I closed the door behind me. In the brief moment I stepped onto the pavement I retracted as a bike went whizzing along. Where's the police when you need them? The bike passed and I crossed the road to my apartment.

Stayed tuned for more nightmare commuting horror stories including 'tonight it snowed' and 'it was dark out'.
                That far. I'm looking forward to working in the office again.

Dangers will be the children walking through the library to their bedrooms as I walk through the office which is on a different side of the library...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  BBC News - Readers' tales of extreme commuting

I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion.
                  1) The season ticket alone is over £1200, it is easy to find reasonable digs for under that in London
                  2) even if it is EXACTLY the same not having to travel for 6 hours every day has got to be good for ones mental health
                  3) I hope to dear God that I never get project managed by this mentalist
                  WHS - and the geezer says "if everything is working as it should be" exactly how likely is that doing a long multi-mode commute in England?

What a tool.

Comment

I heard a tale once about someone who commuted to The City daily from Exeter. Apparently he wasn't the only one. Him and fellow commuters had a card school going on the train journey. Still crackers IMO.

Comment

Hasn't this type of thread been done to death yet?
                      "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                      Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                      X