• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming over here, taking our jobs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    reskill so they are worth more and instill that ethos into their kids?
    hardly, either become benefit dependent, drop out or start mugging grannies.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      hardly, either become benefit dependent, drop out or start mugging grannies.

indeed this is the way to bring up the future generations. not like you will have a choice really
      either become a banker or an estate agent they are the only careers where the government will love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        You've just belted the proverbial nail right on the head here; so many people who complain about the business practices of those who choose cheap labour are quite happy to pay what the Business selling them asks. If you want poor starving tax evading multinationals to pay their staff a living wage rather than ripping them off so their CEO can have a bigger bonus be prepared to pay for it.
        FTFY.

from the CNBC article :

With the industry estimating that one-third of its costs go to labor, he said a $15 wage would mean wage increases averaging around 60 percent, raising the cost of a $3 hamburger to $3.50 or $3.60.
        swoon, 10 - 20% price rise. of course they could cut their margins

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          reskill so they are worth more and instill that ethos into their kids?
          you know a lot of people at the bottom end then?

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
            inside m25 should be £15 min

regardless of job
            Nobody is forced to live inside M25

Comment

FTFY.

from the CNBC article :

Anyone who wants multinationals to pay more tax will have to accept two things;
              1) lower pension payouts as they can't pay the same dividends
              2) an even greater public debt seeing as however much money you give the government they'll always spend between 3% and 5% more.

That's why I don't think it's a good idea for multinationals to pay more tax.

In fact I don't tink it's much good for anyone to pay any more tax tan they already do.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

FTFY.

from the CNBC article :

That ain't gonna happen!

I suppose though it will hit those quieter stores hard - so a busy McD's will sell say 30000 burgers an hour and so the price increase to cover the wage increase would be small

but a small branch that does not do that level of business would suffer more - you could say that it will even out over the whole business but each branch manager will be expected to perform to a certain standard which would become hard to attain with a huge wage rise to the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Nobody is forced to live inside M25
                  they are if they want a job

i favour option 2 that the bank of england put a app on google play so that we can all print our own money
                  the world would be much easier , i mean they do
                  Last edited by unemployed; 13 January 2014, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Why not £20 though? If more is better, then why only push it up to £10?
                    There are some calculations out there that define liveable wage, which I think is only 1-2 more than current level, but I've rounded it up.

Comment

you know a lot of people at the bottom end then?
                      used to be a recruitment consultant dealing with that end - so yes I have an insight.

the interesting thing was when you had dad n son applying for (admittedly sh1ddy) jobs - often much enthusiasm in the youngster not so in the dad - but then maybe thats what happens when life crushes your spirit.

Comment

Working...
                      X