• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking immigration hysteria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strain on the NHS is caused by an ageing population not young immigrants who come in and hardly need any treatment.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Nope, the NHS is there for people who live in the UK.

A lot of people (British or other nationalities) living in the UK don't pay enough tax to cover the cost of their healthcare. Should they be denied treatment on the NHS too?

If all the migrants they allowed in were highly skilled then it would drive your wages down. Do you want that?
      The NHS is there for people who are living in the UK. It shouldn't be for those who are not yet living here.
      We have a moral duty to support British citizens and give them a basic standard of living even if they pay little or no tax. That moral duty extends to foreign governments for foreigners, not the British government.

If highly skilled migrants come in this might drive down my wages a little. But it would also (assuming two-way immigration) generate more overseas working opportunities that I and other British skilled workers could use. Which would drive the wages back up a little as we leave.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

If highly skilled migrants come in this might drive down my wages a little. But it would also (assuming two-way immigration) generate more overseas working opportunities that I and other British skilled workers could use. Which would drive the wages back up a little as we leave.
        And how would you, or those others, pay for your healthcare overseas? Whatever your answer is, then so could those immigrants use the same method in the UK
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          If you took all the immigrants out of the NHS I'd still be waiting for a bed. At least half the porters, healthcare assistants nurses and doctors have been immigrants, I had a German anesthesiologist an Indian surgeon and a polish guy to fit a drain that saved my life. Plenty of UK based folk as well, but the NHS needs immigrants badly at the moment.
          And they would have been british porters, healthcare assistants etc if the immigrants hadn't undercut them on pay rates, leaving British workers with no hope, and more importantly removing the incentive for our young to study hard for these professions, knowing that they won't be able to get jobs in them.
          What is the point in the NHS saving a few bob on cheaper overseas labour, when it will cost the state that much more providing state services for them themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            And how would you, or those others, pay for your healthcare overseas? Whatever your answer is, then so could those immigrants use the same method in the UK
            I am a higher earner, so the tax I pay overseas will more than cover the cost of any treatment I get. And vice versa is true.

Notice that many of the richest countries in the world are those that encourage the rich and successful to come to them to work and play. Britain should be aiming at that.

Comment

We have a moral duty to support British citizens and give them a basic standard of living even if they pay little or no tax. That moral duty extends to foreign governments for foreigners, not the British government.
              I'm a British citizen yet I haven't paid any NI contributions nor tax in 25 years in the UK and previously I only paid around 5 years worth, does this apply to me?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

And they would have been british porters, healthcare assistants etc if the immigrants hadn't undercut them on pay rates, leaving British workers with no hope, and more importantly removing the incentive for our young to study hard for these professions, knowing that they won't be able to get jobs in them.
                What is the point in the NHS saving a few bob on cheaper overseas labour, when it will cost the state that much more providing state services for them themselves.
                The immigrant didn't undercut them on pay rates, the UK management weren't willing to pay what a UK citizen wanted.

Comment

Why shouldn't the UK restrict itself to admitting only those whose net contribution to the UK state finances is positive, and that (assuming no fiscal deficit) is those who earn more than average, hence pay more tax than average.
                  People who's contribution is positive means those who pay more tax than they receive in benefits and other services. This has nothing to do with whether they earn an average wage or pay an average amount of tax, as that has no bearing on what they cost, and in fact as we're running a defecit it's quite possible mathematically that no one at all would qualify. We can't tell, because we don't measure the cost that accurately.

This is incoherent rhetoric backed by a fuzzy minded approach to sums. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all. You quite literally don't make any ******* sense.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Is Lord Rothemere, proprietor of the Daily Mail, a British citizen yet domiciled in France so that he doesn't have to pay tax in the UK (strange for a man who professes his love of Britain) entitled to NHS care? BTW, your last paragraph does not make an iota of sense...
                    Does he love Britain or the British government? They're not equivalent. I love England as a country but I certainly have no love for its government, and most definitely not an ounce of "patriotism" towards this entity, which comprises little more than a career bureaucracy and self-serving sleazeballs in suits, regardless of how much money they shower (inefficiently) at bread and circuses to keep the masses appeased.

Besides which, what proportion of your NICs actually ends up going towards the NHS (assuming it is a "national treasure blah blah blah")? They spend the money as they like.
                    Last edited by Zero Liability; 4 January 2014, 17:08.

Comment

Ask the government of the day. The fact is an ageing population needs more healthcare people than we have, where ever they are from and whatever they cost. It also needs capital expenditure that costs money.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X