• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking immigration hysteria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather have a few thousand hard working Syrians fleeing chemical attacks who are prepared to work, and send Vicky Pollard and chums over to Damascus to figure out WTF just happened.
    At least Vicky Pollard and chums are not likely to include Islamic terrorists and fundamentalists among their number. Have you actually been following the way the Syria conflict is going?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      That article specifically says that only 15% of Romanians currently here do not have a job and bases its calculations, quite reasonably, on that figure.
      But the Romanians currently here haven't been allowed to have a job, until now. At least in most cases. So who are these 15%? I'm guessing perhaps wives of self-employed Romanians who are hardly likely to go and claim benefits.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

They should let in as many new residents as they can so it will drive the house prices up even more than this ridiculous help to buy did and then I can say "so long, suckers", sell up for loads of money and piss off to another country to live.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

At least Vicky Pollard and chums are not likely to include Islamic terrorists and fundamentalists among their number. Have you actually been following the way the Syria conflict is going?
          Admittedly this kink needs ironing out.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

But the Express/Mail etc are not saying all immigrants are like that, this is just a lefty invention. That article specifically says that only 15% of Romanians currently here do not have a job and bases its calculations, quite reasonably, on that figure.

The real point is that ONLY those who are an substantial asset to the British population should be here at all and that means those whose economic activity will raise the GDP per capita of the existing British population by sufficient amount to outweighs the many downsides of pressures on land, schools, housing, infrastructure, cost of dealing with foreign languages and cultures etc etc. Doubtful if that includes anyone with earnings potential of less than £40k+.

We do not have a duty to others from nations who have not contributed to our own. When people accuse the right wing papers of slurs by mentioning some asylum seeker in an 1m house or whatever they are ignoring the fact that it is legitimate to do so until such utter abuses of the British taxpayer are stopped. It should not be happening, not even once.
            I don't know to care what colour, left or right, says who or what. Facts interest me more. Perhaps viewing the British press from the continent; stories are maybe selective, however the general impression that is discussed amongst expats out this way is one of home becoming increasingly intolerant, stupid house prices, and blaming the EU for all it's ills despite the rest of the continent being under the same umbrella.

Now if this is not the case the media has a lot to answer for because the image that is being created is ugly. I do wonder if home was without debt, austerity no longer a concern would our attitudes change?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's early yet, only time will tell perhaps in 3-6 months we'll actually have a better picture of how many people from Bulgaria and Romania have decided to migrate.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

We would not get "hysteria" if legitimate concerns were addressed. People who make these silly comments about "the UK being a nation of immigrants" do not seem to appreciate that the current scale of immigration is quite unprecedented, nothing we have had before comes close. All most want is a properly controlled system that we used to have before Blair came along, like Australia or Canada already have, with reasonable numbers of highly qualified useful people.

Another factor some seem not to consider is the already densely populated nature of the UK. Canada, Australia and the US have plenty of room, we do not.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well it's 3rd of Jan and I've not seen a single Bulgarian.

That said I've only been in Bulgaria for 3 days.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Switzerland are quite tough on immigration too, that's the impression I got whilst I contracted there.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      I'm waiting for CoolCat...
                      I am married to an immigrant, and have coffee coloured children. I am nobodys bigot.

I have however seen the Indian outsourcing movement close up and dislike its racism, bullying, intellectual property theft, tax avoidance, corruption, and so much more. If you think those are things worth defending go ahead.

Comment

Working...
                      X