• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocking immigration hysteria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I don't know. You may have a point.
    I think there is a case for saying the British should pay UK tax on worldwide earnings for just this eventuality.
    Nah, no thanks, I'd willingly renounce my British nationality if that were to occur. Better to implement PAYG than this absurd monstrosity that the US government practises.

Comment

But UK management were only able to do that because the government let in the immigrants. If they hadn't then supply vs demand would have kept rates of pay high.
      No it wouldn't. There weren't this amount of immigrants a couple of hundred years ago yet people lived in abject poverty.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Well i completely disagree with you there, BUT...

You have just explained to us exactly why we shouldn't consider any of your input to be more than spam.

Why on earth should I or anyone take any notice of you, or consider anything you have to say seriously, when it's all "incapable of rational explanation"?
        Morals are incapable of rational explanation. But my points about immigration are not ones of morality.
        My point about the uncontrolled immigration is that it is making the existing British citizens poorer. Now some left-wing people might think that is a good thing from a moral perspective (indeed a desire to harm their own people is, I feel, a driving force for some of them), but I don't share that morality, and I think most British people would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
          Nah, no thanks, I'd willingly renounce my British nationality if that were to occur. Better to implement PAYG than this absurd monstrosity that the US government practises.
          No you wouldn't unless you wanted to forgo NHS treatment for youself when you are elderly. Which you might be happy to do if you are very rich. But few people would choose to opt out of something they have paid taxes for for decades before.

Comment

Morals are incapable of rational explanation. But my points about immigration are not ones of morality.
            My point about the uncontrolled immigration is that it is making the existing British citizens poorer. Now some left-wing people might think that is a good thing from a moral perspective (indeed a desire to harm their own people is, I feel, a driving force for some of them), but I don't share that morality, and I think most British people would agree.
            I think you will probably find you are very much left-wing in your economic and moral sentiments and desire to extend the UK tax status to apply wherever you are, globally.

If you do vote UKIP, bear in mind they are very much to the right of the economic spectrum, which is why I like them. The only exception they make is the NHS but that is because it is political suicide in the UK to oppose this 'treasure'.

Comment

No you wouldn't unless you wanted to forgo NHS treatment for youself when you are elderly. Which you might be happy to do if you are very rich. But few people would choose to opt out of something they have paid taxes for for decades before.
              What on earth makes you think I would need to be very rich? I could go live in Singapore, Thailand etc which have very good, affordable healthcare and won't tax me wherever I go in the globe. Hell, I could even do that somewhere like NZ or the developing Eastern European countries. Any country which thinks it should have the right to tax me wherever I am in the world, on the basis that I may 'some day' return and use its over-rated services is one that puts up a red flag to me, and this is part of why I will never emigrate to the US, unless it changes its policy or breaks up.
              Last edited by Zero Liability; 4 January 2014, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                No it wouldn't. There weren't this amount of immigrants a couple of hundred years ago yet people lived in abject poverty.
                The standard of living of British people 200 years ago was pretty good for its time due to early industrialization. Better than most other countries.

Comment

I think you will probably find you are very much left-wing in your economic and moral sentiments and desire to extend the UK tax status to apply wherever you are, globally.

If you do vote UKIP, bear in mind they are very much to the right of the economic spectrum, which is why I like them. The only exception they make is the NHS but that is because it is political suicide in the UK to oppose this 'treasure'.
                  No I am fairly right wing. I only suggested global taxation as a possible solution to the problem where UK citizens live most of their lives in Dubai and pay no tax, then come back when they are elderly and sponge off the NHS.
                  I am not sure what is the right solution here.

What on earth makes you think I would need to be very rich? I could go live in Singapore, Thailand etc which have very good, affordable healthcare and won't tax me wherever I go in the globe. Hell, I could even do that somewhere like NZ or the developing Eastern European countries.
                  Affordable maybe. But why would you pay for something you can get for free back home?

Comment

something you can get for free back home?
                    How do i get free healthcare?! Sign me up!

Comment

No I am fairly right wing. I only suggested global taxation as a possible solution to the problem where UK citizens live most of their lives in Dubai and pay no tax, then come back when they are elderly and sponge off the NHS.
                      I am not sure what is the right solution here.
                      A pay as you go basis, surely?

Affordable maybe. But why would you pay for something you can get for free back home?
                      It's only free at the point of consumption. If you are paying for it as a taxpayer, that is scarcely the case.

Comment

Working...
                      X