• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the extreme commuter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    No wonder you have to travel for hours.

I have to travel for even more hours being further west.
    Theres more west? :-)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Getting train to client site is an interesting one.

If you've got a long commute then pretty much you want to be going home on the train you planned to go home on. Potentially, if you miss that one, it could mean getting home an hour later or so (which can be a big issue if you're only home for 3 waking hours anyway). Also, with the advent of advance rail fares its cheaper to book in advance but you're stuck to a specific train. (although I understand you can change times for a fee).

My more recent contracts have been driving so this gives me a bit more flexibility. i.e. if, for instance, someone comes to speak to me just as I'm planning to leave its no biggie to delay my departure for 10-15 mins. Would be possibly if I was on train. Current contract I am on train and I did advise client I had to go the other day when he was waffling on (but this is a crap rate contract which I don't intend to stay at).

Just wonder how others deal with this sort of thing. Especially if the first few days of a new contract where everyone's watching what time you're there etc. Generally, I find that, whereas normally I hope to get in early and leave early, for the first few days at least, you're better off getting in at 9 and staying till 5-30 at least (because everyone will notice).

Yeh yeh I know. Direction and control etc for us contractors but everyone wants to make a good impression. Just can't see many clients being too pleased if on day 1 you interupt their conversation at 4pm to tell them you're off to get your train cos you've been here since 8am.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Getting train to client site is an interesting one.

If you've got a long commute then pretty much you want to be going home on the train you planned to go home on. Potentially, if you miss that one, it could mean getting home an hour later or so (which can be a big issue if you're only home for 3 waking hours anyway). Also, with the advent of advance rail fares its cheaper to book in advance but you're stuck to a specific train. (although I understand you can change times for a fee).

My more recent contracts have been driving so this gives me a bit more flexibility. i.e. if, for instance, someone comes to speak to me just as I'm planning to leave its no biggie to delay my departure for 10-15 mins. Would be possibly if I was on train. Current contract I am on train and I did advise client I had to go the other day when he was waffling on (but this is a crap rate contract which I don't intend to stay at).

Just wonder how others deal with this sort of thing. Especially if the first few days of a new contract where everyone's watching what time you're there etc. Generally, I find that, whereas normally I hope to get in early and leave early, for the first few days at least, you're better off getting in at 9 and staying till 5-30 at least (because everyone will notice).
        Last gig I was on public transport - if someone wanted to talk to me whilst I was trying to leave I would simply say "call me on my mobile in 10 mins when I'm on the bus or drop me an email", half the time they called me and most of the rest sent an email or waited until the next day to talk to me.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          Last gig I was on public transport - if someone wanted to talk to me whilst I was trying to leave I would simply say "call me on my mobile in 10 mins when I'm on the bus or drop me an email", half the time they called me and most of the rest sent an email or waited until the next day to talk to me.
          Yeh. Sometimes doesnt look good though especially early on.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
            I have one and considered using it but thought it too pikey to do!!!
            Recently worked somewhere where there was a caravan club campsite dead opposite. Literally, 2 mins walk from office.

Client wanted 12 hr shifts inc nights so was tempted to stay in the caravan. In the end, decided against because it was just so hot (last August) and didnt fancy working nights then sweating my nuts off trying to kip in the daytime in the caravan and have noisy kids etc kicking football around etc.

Comment

Recently worked somewhere where there was a caravan club campsite dead opposite. Literally, 2 mins walk from office.

Client wanted 12 hr shifts inc nights so was tempted to stay in the caravan. In the end, decided against because it was just so hot (last August) and didnt fancy working nights then sweating my nuts off trying to kip in the daytime in the caravan and have noisy kids etc kicking football around etc.
              Are you sure you are a contractor? Jews who worked in death camps got more respect from nazis than you get from your clients

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                Are you sure you are a contractor? Jews who worked in death camps got more respect from nazis than you get from your clients
                +1. He seems to be at the very bottom of the food chain yet claims to have a skillset will above that.

Either he is really bad at choicing contracts or he is worryingly inaccurate in his appreciation of his actually skillset and level.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  +1. He seems to be at the very bottom of the food chain yet claims to have a skillset will above that.

Either he is really bad at choicing contracts or he is worryingly inaccurate in his appreciation of his actually skillset and level.
                  Bit confused as to exactly what you're having a dig at me for here. I assume its the 12 hrs thing???

Yes, it was discussed at interview. Yes it is something that occasionally client will want in my line of work. Yes, they paid a premium for this not a PWD.

Of course, I could have flounced out and said, Im a contractor you don't tell me when I work. Of course, wouldnt have got the gig then.

All well and good throwing your weight around but at the end of the day its all about keeping the client happy.

Comment

Bit confused as to exactly what you're having a dig at me for here. I assume its the 12 hrs thing???
                    To be clear I've emphasised the bits in bold..

+1. He seems to be at the very bottom of the food chain .

Yes, it was discussed at interview.
                    So why did you spend all the blooming contract complaining about it and still bring it up in a look at me wasn't life hard stylie.

Either get used to life as a contractor while trying to live in wales or just shut up and stop complaining because I can't imagine anyone on this forum would ever recruit you if they were looking for a contractor even if you were the only one person available with complete skillset..
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

To be clear I've emphasised the bits in bold..

So why did you spend all the blooming contract complaining about it and still bring it up in a look at me wasn't life hard stylie.

Either get used to life as a contractor while trying to live in wales or just shut up and stop complaining because I can't imagine anyone on this forum would ever recruit you if they were looking for a contractor even if you were the only one person available with complete skillset..
                      Happy today eek.....

Comment

Working...
                      X