• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the extreme commuter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I won't do more than 1.5 hours by road or public transport otherwise I will stay away.
    ^ Me too. (if it makes sense financially)

Current commute is around that - sometimes a little quicker - sometimes a little longer - by car/train/tube

I did have a gig that was around 90 mins drive away (2 x 90 each day) and that was more tiring than getting the train. I'd much rather sit on the train than drive if possible. The car was door to desk though and mainly motorway plus parking outside the window, which is nice, no Joe Public to deal with.

Comment

Best was 9 miles from home. About 15 mins drive.

More recent ones have been 75 mins drive each way. Not so good when I did 12 hr shifts with this one.

Current one is:-

10 mins drive to train station
      10 mins finding a space to park
      10 mins walk/wait for train
      50 mins train
      10 mins walk from train

Luckily, hours are flexible so I get the 7am train and at my desk by 8am. Means I can leave by 4ish and get home by 5-30pm.
      Still pretty much 90 mins door to door not helped by really crap rate.

Looking at gig in London which is a lot of WFH. Might mean one/two long days of 2.5 hours each way (train/tube) or one/two stays over but prefer this to current gig (and its 4x more).

In terms of staying over, all well and good if:-

1. Family situation makes it doable.
      2. Rate is enough to pay for it - my current gig just aint enough to pay for hotel.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Just started a gig which will have my base as Leeds.

The commute from Chester and back would be 3-3.5 hrs a day so going to stay away a max 3 nights a week and WFH 1 or 2 days.

I don't mind long train journeys for commuting, I regularly did Chester to Euston and back in a day as you can use the time on the train. However the most driving I will do is an hour on today's roads as they are so congested I don't cope with it well and end up very cranky.

Comment

Yes, the bulk of my commute is on the train and walking. I wouldn't like to drive for 100 minutes each way every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
            Just started a gig which will have my base as Leeds.

The commute from Chester and back would be 3-3.5 hrs a day so going to stay away a max 3 nights a week and WFH 1 or 2 days.

I don't mind long train journeys for commuting, I regularly did Chester to Euston and back in a day as you can use the time on the train. However the most driving I will do is an hour on today's roads as they are so congested I don't cope with it well and end up very cranky.
            Agreed. My max for driving is about 75 mins and thats not so easy every day.

Train is much more relaxing but sometimes gets on my nerves that it takes longer than driving. By the time you get to train station, park, allow 5-10 mins it can take much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Agreed. My max for driving is about 75 mins and thats not so easy every day.

Train is much more relaxing but sometimes gets on my nerves that it takes longer than driving. By the time you get to train station, park, allow 5-10 mins it can take much longer.
              I am lucky as I live a £5 cab ride from the station so leave the car at home. I would still get the cab if it cost me more as the less hassle and time saving is worth it to me and you save the parking fee. Plus if you fancy a beer on the train home you can
              Last edited by Damon; 28 December 2013, 10:20.

Comment

Spent the last decade doing either a walk across my garden to my office or up to 3 hours each way into London. It's the way life is and I am willing to bet that if I moved back into the smoke the first job offer I got would be in Bristol. These days I set my rate to make sure I am happy with whatever the choice is.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                  I am lucky as I live a £5 cab ride from the station so leave the car at home. I would still get the cab if it cost me more as the less hassle and time saving is worth it to me and you save the parking fee. Plus if you fancy a beer on the train home you can
                  As long as cab turns up on time every day lol

Comment

A long time ago in a county far far away I once took advantage of the permie ClientCo First Time Buyer's package for an Oil & Gas company and bought a flat 5 mins walking distance from the office. The day I completed (27th March, never forgot that date) was the time they announced they were all moving offices 45 minutes away (as the car flies).

I'll never forgive Human Remains for that - they were well aware throughout the whole moving process over several months.

Longest commute was from home counties to Soho, London. 90 mins. So bad I used to get out at Baker Street Tube and walk.

The Tube must be the most inhumane part of anyone's life. I vowed never to do it again and, for the last 15 years, have done so.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                      The Tube must be the most inhumane part of anyone's life.
                      Every once in a while a bunch of utter twunts squeeze onto an already tightly packed carriage so they're literally pressing against you and breathing stale breath onto your face. I've never known a worse form of transport.

TFL should also be banned from announcing that their is currently a 'Good Service' on all underground lines. Good service implies that not only is it running on time, but the level of comfort is also acceptable and has even been verified by the passengers. They should only be allowed to say it is running to schedule, or there are no delays, etc.

I cringe every time the automated voice instructs passengers/filth to "please use all available space".

Comment

Working...
                      X