• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the extreme commuter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 hr 45 mins each way for my current commute from mid-Bucks to Maida Vale. It was the same when I commuted to Croydon.

Camping out in London is a bit too pricey for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Camping out in London is a bit too pricey for my liking.
      But you can afford wasting 3.5 hours of your life every working day...

Comment

My Summer / Autumn gig was pretty much 95 mins each way by public transport on a good day, when the kids went back to school it went to 120 mins which I found very tiring particularly on the way home there was so much work on leaving before 7pm was near on impossible. Had my contract not been terminated early I would have started spending 2 nights a week in clientco town just to get a break from the commute.

I am currently interviewing for a gig that is more than 2 hours by public transport and just under 2 hours by car (if I rent one) and no parking space available when I get there. I will probably stay 4 nights a week on that one if I get it.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          But you can afford wasting 3.5 hours of your life every working day...
          I've got family and friends to go home to.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I've got family and friends to go home to.
            Do you have a sofa?

Comment

Current gig was 3 hours door to door so weekly commute, now wfh for the same client so 5-10 minutes, as I don't live in a bedsit, have an office at home and generally make myself a cup of coffee on the way. Longer if Mrs B is feeling frisky in the morning

One before that was 90 minutes each way (drive to station, train, walk to client co).

I think I have had three jobs in the last 20 years where I commuted for less than an hour. The shortest of those was a 20 minute drive.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

4 to 5 hrs a day, 5 days a week, still I get to WFH on Weds from Jan so that will go a long way to keeping me sane!

Comment

I've worked alongside lots of contractors who are happy to do 2 hour commutes one way.

I won't do more than 1.5 hours by road or public transport otherwise I will stay away.

I've had periods were I've done hour commutes and have had a journey home take 2.5 - 3 hours 3-4 times a week for 3 weeks due to accidents, suicides and weather conditions. There is nothing worse than being stuck on a motorway or train going where.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Worst was 1:45 there and 1:15 back. Brentwood to Stockley Park, every day. I did have a fully expensed very comfortable company car, and used to arrive at 10am and leave at 6pm, which helped.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Two hours each way, five days a week from Southampton to The City. Been doing it for 13 years on and off. Not too many investment banks in Hampshire. I'm benched from Jan and have promised the Missus that if I can find something local for 2/3 of the cash I'd take it.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X