• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefits for immigrants from the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Easy - by checking online reviews of the establishment where that chef was allegedly working - then fly in for an interview
      You really trust online reviews rather than your own mouth?

Simplest way is turn up in the country with savings/ partner to support you, and ask around until you get a job.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 22 December 2013, 19:17.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Do you ever go out SueEllen? Shortage of restaurants in your town is there? I doubt it, never any lack of choice everywhere I have been. One good thing about being a contractor, you do get to live in a lot of areas of the UK. So many times I have wandered around a new town and seen lots of little Indian/Chinese/etc restaurants, largely empty most nights.

Please explain how yet another chef in yet another little ethnic restaurant is a significant benefit to the UK economy or, more importantly, a benefit to the average UK citizen.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 22 December 2013, 19:21.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You really trust online reviews rather than your own mouth?
          I'd check if the reviewer is trustworthy first using graph algorithms

Comment

Do you ever go out SueEllen? Shortage of restaurants in your town is there? I doubt it, never any lack of choice everywhere I have been. Please explain how yet another chef in yet another little ethnic restaurant is a significant benefit to the UK economy.
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Do you ever go out SueEllen? Shortage of restaurants in your town is there? I doubt it, never any lack of choice everywhere I have been. Please explain how yet another chef in yet another little ethnic restaurant is a significant benefit to the UK economy.
              Chefs were just the first example I could think of where you can't just recruit any fool online as you don't know the outcome of their cooking.

Anyway there is no shortage of chefs which the UK government finally realised much to the protests of Indian restaurant owners.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Anyway there is no shortage of chefs which the UK government finally realised much to the protests of Indian restaurant owners.
                I am pretty sure 3 Michelin star chef can get workpermit easily...

Comment

I do actually know of one case cos things went wrong.
                  Conclusive argument that. You've convinced me!
                  bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Conclusive argument that. You've convinced me!

Comment

Anyway there is no shortage of chefs which the UK government finally realised much to the protests of Indian restaurant owners
                      I doubt it stops them finding Indian chefs. That brings up another argument against legal immigration, illegal immigration. The second is an inevitable consequence of the first. People naturally want to be with their own kind and they are usually aided, given accommodation, jobs, helped with false documents, fake marriages etc by those of their own ethnicity. As I said earlier, Indians are generally a pretty useful bunch but they are among the worst offenders for illegal immigration. 51% of Indians given a 3 year student visa are still here after 6 years.

Sorry to keep trotting out facts (got links if you want them and NOT from The Daily Mail) but it would be great if we could get a few facts into this debate.
                      bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                      X