• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain hysterical over immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Very few people have any idea how many, but I think it's quite a lot of people.
    Estimate reported on the radio yesterday is one million.

Comment

Its a complex issue. UKIP want to shut the borders as if that would solve the problem - in reality all the brain-employing companies would either bugger off or employ people remotely, since even if every unemployed local was trained to the best of their ability there would still be a shortage of brainy people. That's an issue that's in very country - as the world gets more complicated, the cognitive demands of work get higher.
      There is already a multinational cognitive elite who can, in practice, work where they want: MSc and PhDs in hard subjects from good unis.
      The problem is if this debate gets hijacked by the stupid, who are most vocal since they have most to lose, but can't see the bigger picture because of, erm, their stupidity, then the country as a whole will suffer.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Estimate reported on the radio yesterday is one million.
        Yep, but I've heard 'estimates' as high as 1.5 million too; it all depends who you count. If you count people who spend several months or a year in another EU country for work then you get a higher number.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Wikifactorfictionoid;

"A 2006 publication from the Institute for Public Policy Research estimated 5.5 million British-born people lived outside of the United Kingdom.[2]
          According to The Foreign and Commonwealth Office there are 13.1 million British nationals living abroad in 2004–05. These figures are taken from the consular annual returns from overseas posts. There is no requirement for UK citizens to register with British missions overseas and therefore these figures are based on the most reliable information that can be obtained e.g. from host government official statistics.[3]"
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_diaspora

Comment

Very few people have any idea how many, but I think it's quite a lot of people.
            You can get stats from Eurostat, IIRC. Though the default views wont show it they have numbers for each EU country based on country of birth and country of citizenship.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/por...e=MIGR_IMM1CTZ

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/por...e=MIGR_IMM3CTB
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              You can get stats from Eurostat, IIRC. Though the default views wont show it they have numbers for each EU country based on country of birth and country of citizenship.
              Yep, but these figures can be highly inaccurate for representing numbers of people of a nationality. Country of birth is quite often not the same as nationality among immigrants, plus; there are lots of dual citizens who don't register both nationalities. Even more so now because some countries are making dual nationality illegal, so people are just hiding it.

Comment

I have dual citizenship, I will rather show the other passport (need to check it's still valid) next time I go the continent (soon btw).

Reminder to myself: erase that stupid home counties accent before departing.
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Yep, but these figures can be highly inaccurate for representing numbers of people of a nationality. Country of birth is quite often not the same as nationality among immigrants, plus; there are lots of dual citizens who don't register both nationalities. Even more so now because some countries are making dual nationality illegal, so people are just hiding it.
                  Yeah but it's a start, and probably closer to the truth than the daily mail.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Yeah but it's a start, and probably closer to the truth than the daily mail.
                    Wow, that's really close.

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                      Reminder to myself: erase that stupid home counties accent before departing.
                      Innit, though, bruv, or how will you get down wiv them hos.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X