• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panorama - Amazon: The truth behind the click

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    My first wage was £12 before deductions. A pint was about 20p though
    per day/week/month?

So wage = 60 pints.

That's £204 in today's money.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 26 November 2013, 19:20.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      perd day/week/month?

So wage = 60 pints.

That's £204 in today's money.
      Weekly, forgot to mention that. In those days everybody got paid weekly with a wee brown envelope stuffed (), with actual cash.

I worked as an hotel porter in the summer I left school before starting studies so got tips on top of that as well, maybe as much as 8 quid a week. Got a free greenish / black waistcoat thing and all meals too.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

My first wage was £12 before deductions. A pint was about 20p though
        Liar. We were still on Shekkels when you were a lad.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          We seem to have a lot of snobs on here who don't appreciate that most people don't have our choices.
          I think we also have a lot of people who have done menial jobs at some point in their lives, myself included. You may be mistaking contractors with the aristocracy

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I doubt people working in the warehouse in Amazon are making their own choices in the way many imagine it. Their choice is this or dole. I have to admire them for choosing working but that doesn't mean we should applaud their exploitation.
          Oh please. They're not being exploited. Unless you claim that capitalism is inherently exploitation, that anyone making money from another's work is exploiting them?

Minimum wage in the UK is not too bad and a warehouse picking job is nowhere NEAR the worst job you could have.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have a CD available for sale on Amazon. They decided the price and margin not me and way too expensive in my opinion although it stills sells well but I give away more than I sell which is my choice.

They're ripping off artists and paying their workers minimum to maximise profits and pretty much have a monopoly which isn't healthy. Pay more? Sure but who benefits?
            I know authors who won't sell on Amazon because they'd lose money on every copy sold, and not uncommon if you're not amongst the elite authors who can shift millions of books
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I think we also have a lot of people who have done menial jobs at some point in their lives, myself included. You may be mistaking contractors with the aristocracy

Oh please. They're not being exploited. Unless you claim that capitalism is inherently exploitation, that anyone making money from another's work is exploiting them?

Minimum wage in the UK is not too bad and a warehouse picking job is nowhere NEAR the worst job you could have.
              £6 * 40 = £240 a week / £1000 a month. £12,000 a year. But they only get that for 2-3 months.

not a bad salary if you get it all year.

Capitalism is at base exploitative of those at the bottom, that is why society should step in and regulate its worse excesses.

Done some worse jobs in my Youth and I did have a choice but grown men with families are going for this job. They will be subsidised by working tax credit.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Nope that was a race to the bottom where councils subcontracted care to third party agencies on the basis of lowest cost.
                And consumers shopping on the basis of lowest cost is different how?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I wonder what the people making the kindle get, 20p an hour?

Comment

You know, a few decades ago all the people who are taking these Xmas jobs at Amazon would have been taking Xmas jobs at the Post Office.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      You know, a few decades ago all the people who are taking these Xmas jobs at Amazon would have been taking Xmas jobs at the Post Office.
                      I did that for a couple of years whilst at uni, it was a cushy job to the extent you'd get told of if you worked too fast.

I'm sure Amazon would be hellish though
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X