• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perfect meatballs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ever find yourself in Liverpool, check out Almost Famous on Parr Street. Mince won't look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Ah hah! I have a cunning plan for that. <taps nose>
      Mucus? That doesn't sound very nice

Bacchus's top tip for meat balls is to boil them off first.They should be golf-ball sized, not tennis ball, put them in water on a rolling boil in batches, when they float, lift them out with a slotted spoon. This sets them and cooks off a load of fatty scum that you will get, especially if you use any minced meat from a supermarket - not so bad if you mince your own. You can flavour the meat with garlic/chilli/anything you want, but I prefer to put the flavour in the sauce. Salt, pepper, finely chopped onion, smoked paprika, 80% meat, 20% bread, give it a quick whizz in a food-processor for a smoother texture, mix by hand for coarse.

When you have set them by boiling, you can fry them (or grill them) to improve colour and texture, and then chuck in to your sauce; pretty much anything goes, my favourite is a spicy arrabiata and pasta, but curry works, even Thai curry if you use lamb, thick gravy with mash and peas, fried/caramelised onion and ketchup... Have to agree with Mrs d000hg on the sweet and sour though... hmmm.... hungry now and it's only breakfast time...

Bacchus in mumsnet mode?

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        They should be golf-ball sized, not tennis ball, ...
        WHS (and thanks for the boiling tip)

Who ever heard of a tennis ball sized meat ball? It would be more like a carniverous haggis
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          WHS (and thanks for the boiling tip)

Who ever heard of a tennis ball sized meat ball? It would be more like a carniverous haggis
          TTIUWP so .....

I did think about boiling them as I got an oil slick in the sauce. Will defo make then a weensy bit smaller next time.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

This works pretty well: Beef meatball recipe: Recipes: Good Food Channel

Meatballs should be smaller than a golf ball otherwise it's hard to shallow fry them evenly. I usually use a lot more red wine than suggested.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              This works pretty well: Beef meatball recipe: Recipes: Good Food Channel

Meatballs should be smaller than a golf ball otherwise it's hard to shallow fry them evenly. I usually use a lot more red wine than suggested.
              I decided it was a good idea to cook them in the sauce to ensure they got cooked at the way through. Got a rather oily sauce. This recipe looks good.

Comment

Big is fine.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Big is fine.
                  Mine are bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    TTIUWP so .....

I did think about boiling them as I got an oil slick in the sauce. Will defo make then a weensy bit smaller next time.
                    The spaghetti/meatball ratio looks like it could do with some tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDawg View Post
                      The spaghetti/meatball ratio looks like it could do with some tuning.
                      More pasta?

Comment

Working...
                      X