• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conservative MP wants even more Bobs to be let in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No they aren't morons.

Most of the young people going to university are going to do soft subjects not sciences so it's right for the press to tell them not to go and do their art or social science degree as they won't earn more money from doing so.

Those who do sciences and get a decent first degree work out there are lots of jobs they can do without doing a Postgraduate degree. This means they don't do a Postgraduate degree especially if they are already in debt from doing their first degree.

There were companies and there still are - that sponsor students in the final year of their first degree and/or give them work placements.
    I think they are anything but. I wouldn't go to university now. Anyone from a poor (i.e. self funded without parental support) background who does the sums will realize they are going to be close to £40k in debt when they finish their BSc, by the time they have paid that off and started saving a deposit for a home they will be to old to breed.

The current policy of charging for university tuition in this country has ensured that higher education availability is biased in favour of the moneyed elite, and that's before you consider that access to the best secondary schools is largely dictated by parental wealth as well.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

interestingly enough when Bob from Bangalore gets a degree from Bangalore outskirts polyversity what guarantees do we have that that degree is of the required standard.

There is already across the UK quite a difference in the expect levels of knowledge required to get a degree - e.g. getting one from Oxford/Cambridge/Edinburgh is always going to be harder than getting one from Bangor Polyversity.

And yet we see those letters on a CV and immiediately think we have some sort of genius on our hands.

I think we need to wise up and realise that actually it is not so much the qualification but the attitude which makes a huge difference.

Oh yeah and smoke more weed and get leathered.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I think IT is at Bob saturation point now anyway, most places have outsourced the real donkey work and carry a substantial onshore presence. If you have survived this long you should be OK but you are fecked if you are coming out of uni wanting a gig in IT.

Yet people still wonder why we don't have enough decent star ups coming through from our technology hubs.
        Agree about saturation for the donkey work. However, my recent experience suggests that for all the criticism of Bobs who do such commoditised work, some of the onshore guys higher up the chain are pretty good. At my last place we had a number of excellent solution architects for example. Their onshore rate was something of the order of £200-250 a day I think c.f. around £550 a day we were typically paying UK solution architect contractors.

Comment

back in the day my A-level maths teacher used to use 'going to Bangor Poly' as a threat to those who either did not do homework or flunked a test...

he also used to say you just needed a bus ticket (as opposed to decent grades) I assume to get in.

He was a great teacher and a decent bloke - not sure what he had against Bangor poly/uni though.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            He was a great teacher and a decent bloke - not sure what he had against Bangor poly/uni though.
            Probably went there and blamed that for his becoming a teacher.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              You seem obsessed with my "rich wife" since you mention it ad nauseum.
              Sorry to know your wife is poor and thick.
              I guess we're both proof of the old adage: people marry people much like themselves.
              Strange I don't think I have ever insulted your wife, frankly I think she must be a saint to put up with an arrogant twunt like you.

I do know that suggesting you are a kept man annoys you, so I do mention it when you are particularly insufferable.

So if you don't mind, leave the insults about people's families out and try intelligent debate with a little light ribbing of you opponent. Call me what you like but leave my family out of it.

You may have worked really hard, but so do many others.

You were given the gift of being born in a civilised country, got a reasonable education, had a reasonable IQ (its inherited, not gained in the main) and I assume your family were above the real poverty line when you were raised. So really you started with a lot of advantages other people don't have. To harp on about how well you are doing makes you sound like a Harry Enfield Sketch - 'I'm AssGuru. I'm considerably cleverer than yow'.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I do know that suggesting you are a kept man annoys you .
                No actually it doesn't. I'd quite like to be a kept man. I reckon the fact that you bang on about it like it's an insult says more about you than it does about me, namely that that you're a small-penised, insecure, sad, pathetic, little man who would be mortified if his wife earned more than him

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                You may have worked really hard, but so do many others.

To harp on about how well you are doing makes you sound like a Harry Enfield Sketch - 'I'm AssGuru. I'm considerably cleverer than yow'.

I can't abide moaning whingers who blame other people for their misfortunes, my point is that if you feel threatened in your job by globalisation or other factors, fix the problem by re-skilling like I did, rather than whinging and finding scapegoats.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  No actually it doesn't. I'd quite like to be a kept man. I reckon the fact that you bang on about it like it's an insult says more about you than it does about me, namely that that you're a small-penised, insecure, sad, pathetic, little man who would be mortified if his wife earned more than him

I can't abide moaning whingers who blame other people for their misfortunes, my point is that if you feel threatened in your job by globalisation or other factors, fix the problem by re-skilling like I did, rather than whinging and finding scapegoats.
                  how many people does it take to tell you that you are self centred tosser for you to actually stand back and think they may have a point?

you may have worked hard, so did lots of other people - some who for one reason or another are doing pretty badly at the moment, its sheer arrogance to believe you are somehow better than every single one of them... its luck me old mucker nothing more and nothing less... and the dice can roll a different way for you at any time just like the rest of us...

Comment

Sirens of Titan.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                      how many people does it take to tell you that you are self centred tosser for you to actually stand back and think they may have a point?

you may have worked hard, so did lots of other people - some who for one reason or another are doing pretty badly at the moment, its sheer arrogance to believe you are somehow better than every single one of them... its luck me old mucker nothing more and nothing less... and the dice can roll a different way for you at any time just like the rest of us...
                      I'd be curious to know what your experience and qualifications are.
                      You claim to have had > 25 years experience. Surely that should put you out of reach of a Bob threat if you were any good?
                      As for luck, yes luck is one factor in life, effort is another. As someone born in the rich world your luck has been greater than most.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X