• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eckhart Tolle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    This is broadly true. Mrs OG is a cognitive neuroscientist who researches in a closely related area. I'm not sure it follows that reading the book will be effective.
    Have you read it (or anything similar)?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Half way through the first chapter, and so far I think there's the promise of an interesting idea obfuscated by an awful lot of hippy mumbo jumbo. Will persevere...
      Yes. I also find the hippy mumbo jumbo rather off putting, and I've always thought that a book is an odd way to learn about meditating. You wouldn't read a book about walking would you?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Yes. I also find the hippy mumbo jumbo rather off putting, and I've always thought that a book is an odd way to learn about meditating. You wouldn't read a book about walking would you?
        I've read books about cycling and running.

Comment

I've read books about cycling and running.
          I read the Kama Sutra
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have you read it (or anything similar)?
            No, the only books I have managed to read since my kids were born (they are 5 and 2) are:

- The Hunger Games trilogy (teen fiction is about the limit for my sleep addled brain), and
            - A couple of xxx for dummies books to get my stupid web app off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Actually there is a growing body of evidence that mindfulness & meditation is useful in the reduction of anxiety, stress and depression. It's a pretty sound recommendation, and probably a better one than prescribing happy pills in a lot of cases.
              Agreed but that's not a reason to prescribe any particular snake-oil salesman's book.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Agreed but that's not a reason to prescribe any particular snake-oil salesman's book.
                We need to do a study where one group randomly spreads +ve rep and negs MF as much as possible, and a control group undertakes some kind of repping tasks that will need definition. Then we can see which group feels better by the end of the study.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  - A couple of xxx for dummies books to get my stupid web app off the ground.
                  What's in those then? How to set up the camera, which positions to use to display the full action, the basics of money shots?

Comment

Working...
                  X