• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Eckhart Tolle

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Eckhart Tolle"

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    - A couple of xxx for dummies books to get my stupid web app off the ground.
    What's in those then? How to set up the camera, which positions to use to display the full action, the basics of money shots?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Agreed but that's not a reason to prescribe any particular snake-oil salesman's book.
    We need to do a study where one group randomly spreads +ve rep and negs MF as much as possible, and a control group undertakes some kind of repping tasks that will need definition. Then we can see which group feels better by the end of the study.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Actually there is a growing body of evidence that mindfulness & meditation is useful in the reduction of anxiety, stress and depression. It's a pretty sound recommendation, and probably a better one than prescribing happy pills in a lot of cases.
    Agreed but that's not a reason to prescribe any particular snake-oil salesman's book.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Have you read it (or anything similar)?
    No, the only books I have managed to read since my kids were born (they are 5 and 2) are:

- The Hunger Games trilogy (teen fiction is about the limit for my sleep addled brain), and
    - A couple of xxx for dummies books to get my stupid web app off the ground.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I've read books about cycling and running.
    I read the Kama Sutra

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Yes. I also find the hippy mumbo jumbo rather off putting, and I've always thought that a book is an odd way to learn about meditating. You wouldn't read a book about walking would you?
    I've read books about cycling and running.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Half way through the first chapter, and so far I think there's the promise of an interesting idea obfuscated by an awful lot of hippy mumbo jumbo. Will persevere...
    Yes. I also find the hippy mumbo jumbo rather off putting, and I've always thought that a book is an odd way to learn about meditating. You wouldn't read a book about walking would you?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    This is broadly true. Mrs OG is a cognitive neuroscientist who researches in a closely related area. I'm not sure it follows that reading the book will be effective.
    Have you read it (or anything similar)?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Actually there is a growing body of evidence that mindfulness & meditation is useful in the reduction of anxiety, stress and depression. It's a pretty sound recommendation, and probably a better one than prescribing happy pills in a lot of cases.
    This is broadly true. Mrs OG is a cognitive neuroscientist who researches in a closely related area. I'm not sure it follows that reading the book will be effective.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Half way through the first chapter, and so far I think there's the promise of an interesting idea obfuscated by an awful lot of hippy mumbo jumbo. Will persevere...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    More evidence for my thesis that current medical education is not fit for purpose in the modern world.
    There should be more logico-mathematical/statistical/epistemological/philosophy of science stuff rather than biological fact-cramming.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Eckhart Tolle | Official Site - Spiritual Teachings and Tools For Personal Growth and Happiness

Had a Bupa assessment thingy yesterday. Doc I saw suggested I read "The Power of Now" by this chappie.

Just found his website, and it looks like claptrap, not to mention the dodgy beard.

Anyone looked into this stuff? Will it make me happy...?
    Ask the doc what the evidence base is as to whether reading it is an effective intervention. That will make you feel much better.
    More evidence for my thesis that current medical education is not fit for purpose in the modern world.
    There should be more logico-mathematical/statistical/epistemological/philosophy of science stuff rather than biological fact-cramming.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post

I'd much rather recommend Ayn Rand for a general education on what it means to be a man, and how to live as a man and be proud of doing so (with pride being the ultimate source of all human happiness).
    Interesting concept - complete opposite of the Tolle/Buddhist message.

Pride and ego I see as sources of unhappiness. Anyway - each to their own!

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope.

Take up meditation and do it everyday - it's been proven to work.
    +1

It does work!

With metta,

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Eckhart Tolle | Official Site - Spiritual Teachings and Tools For Personal Growth and Happiness

Had a Bupa assessment thingy yesterday. Doc I saw suggested I read "The Power of Now" by this chappie.

Just found his website, and it looks like claptrap, not to mention the dodgy beard.

Anyone looked into this stuff? Will it make me happy...?
    Nope.

Take up meditation and do it everyday - it's been proven to work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X