• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Link to gloomy contractor survey required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You don't need to prove anything the accounts are sufficient. If the accounts are incorrect this would be tax fraud, no-one can question your accounts unless they can prove that.

No need to justify anything just hand over a document from your accountant.
    which is fine if the company has been trading long enough
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by paraclete View Post
      Thanks Bellona. Yes, I have submitted evidence of applications at previous hearings, but the other side just ignore these.

I guess the next hearing (The Final Hearing) will be a more in-depth look at evidence, rather than those that have preceeded it. I have been quite shocked so far at the fact that no-one has looked at all at any of the evidence that I have painstakingly assembled.

Thanks again.
      Isn't your barrister challenging this - how is it relevant to a settlement?

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
        IMHO - I would ask them to "prove it". Regardless of the market rate, if you have been submitting yourself for roles but have been unsuccessful then the market rate is, to a large extent, irrelevant.

Rather than surveys ( which are subjective at the best of times), I would respond with the number of unsuccessful applications made.

Surely the burden of proof is on them not you ?? ( or maybe I am naive ).
        I agree.

"He who asserts must prove" - they can prove that there is a reduction in turnover. They cannot prove that this is deliberately done - make a note of the number of roles you have applied for (or a rough estimate, but make it clear that it's an estimate), and use that as rebuttal evidence that you are trying to find work but cannot.

I don't think that even having a mate's accounts will help - what's to stop them arguing that they are artificial because he's a friend? - all you can do is show what you are doing to try and run the business, rather than trying to ruin the business.

Good luck with it, and hope you're feeling better soon - I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Good point eek, and hopefully I will get the chance to do this next time.

So far there has been no cross-examination, and hence no chance to do any digging into these allegations. The hearings always start with them summarising the background, basically a pack of lies and character assassinations of me; and, although I try to refute each of these in turn, none of the judges so far have wanted to listen to any debate.

Thanks for the advice.
          gulp sounds like you are representing yourself - I am still at mediation but if it gets to court I am considering using this guy....

Mckenzie Friend Services and Support

I found him on wikivorce

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            referral takes months I have been waiting since late spring
            <offtopic>it's not much better if you offer to go private - there's a dearth of highly skilled nut docs around</offtopic>
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Isn't your barrister challenging this - how is it relevant to a settlement?
              To be honest, this is just one of a huge number of allegations that they make, all without an foundation whatsoever.

I think it is partly a tactic to distract from her wrongdoings, as she has stolen money from an account of mine, and is stashing cash right, left and centre.

As regards my barrister, after a period on the bench, the money has run out, and I can no longer afford representation.

The relevance of their allegations is that they are trying to infer that I am hiding/diverting money, thus cannot be trusted to play fair after the divorce, and hence that she should get all of the assets now.

HTH

Comment

gulp sounds like you are representing yourself - I am still at mediation but if it gets to court I am considering using this guy....

Mckenzie Friend Services and Support

I found him on wikivorce
                Thanks MP. Yes, he has been in touch with me too, but I need to establish exactly what his pedigree is, and how he can help in my situation.

To be honest, most divorces are relatively straightforward, with transparent asssets. IT Contractors are relatively well paid, thus there is often considerable money involved, and it is difficult to try and get judges into the mentality of running a limited company. I don't know if he has the experience of this sort of complex divorce.

Her barister continually argues that my rurnover is my salary; they have enven put in writing, in a submission for a previous hearing, that the only deduction that I should make is travel costs! I don't know what the tax man would make of that.

Whatever you do, try to contain this within the mediation, and don't let solicitors get involved. Legal costs so far in my case are not far off £50k, with a lengthy final hearing still to go.

Comment

maybe the PCG can help?

https://www.pcg.org.uk/legal-helpline-pcg-members
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

To be honest, this is just one of a huge number of allegations that they make, all without an foundation whatsoever.

I think it is partly a tactic to distract from her wrongdoings, as she has stolen money from an account of mine, and is stashing cash right, left and centre.

As regards my barrister, after a period on the bench, the money has run out, and I can no longer afford representation.

The relevance of their allegations is that they are trying to infer that I am hiding/diverting money, thus cannot be trusted to play fair after the divorce, and hence that she should get all of the assets now.

HTH
                    Oh Sh** in the meantime the barrister is raking it in... good luck

Comment

referral takes months I have been waiting since late spring
                      Stop contracting and get a low paid permie job
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X