• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much aid do we give to India?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Another win for the 'only look at the latest page of the thread' approach.
    Who are you accusing of that? Personally I've read the whole thread, the original article as published on the BBC website this morning and formed my own opinion based on d000hg's past behavior - so do one you sh!t stirring twat!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      Why are they even going to Mars? Can we not internationally to just let one agency go rather than duplicating effort and wasting billions?
      And then only one approach is used to solve problems with key knowledge restricted to certain countries/organisations?

Not good IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Who are you accusing of that? Personally I've read the whole thread, the original article as published on the BBC website this morning and formed my own opinion based on d000hg's past behavior - so do one you sh!t stirring twat!
        I didn't explain fully. That's what I do now. It's great because you skip past all the on topic discussion and cut straight to the abuse. Thank you for illustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          During the potato famine in Ireland, which at the time was a part of the British Empire, the British government funded expeditions to the Northwest Passage and into the jungles of the Congo; meanwhile, British citizens were dying of starvation. Now OK, Britain was not recieving foreign aid AFAIK, but the Indians could quite reasonably claim that exploration is a part of development and may deliver economic benefits further down the line, just as Britain's explorations in the north and in Africa did.

Personally I think it's a bit of a spurious claim in this case, but the Indians could argue they're just following the example of countries which went through their technological development earlier.
          Or having suffered 24 previous instances of potato crop failure before the new American strain of Blight arrived the government could have bought grain as Sir Robert Peel did, the Irish could have diversified crops or the Government could have requisitioned Irish Grain crops as it did in earlier famines but that was unpopular with Irish Landlords because they lost money.

Of course the British just wanted to starve the Irish out we are known for that sort of thing

Its easy to blame the government but it is normally more complicated than that.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Wow - I can't believe the vitriol being delivered in this thread? Is it really necessary for people to get so angry?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Wow - I can't believe the vitriol being delivered in this thread? Is it really necessary for people to get so angry?
              Stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Or having suffered 24 previous instances of potato crop failure before the new American strain of Blight arrived the government could have bought grain as Sir Robert Peel did, the Irish could have diversified crops or the Government could have requisitioned Irish Grain crops as it did in earlier famines but that was unpopular with Irish Landlords because they lost money.

Of course the British just wanted to starve the Irish out we are known for that sort of thing

Its easy to blame the government but it is normally more complicated than that.
                Or perhaps Ireland could have stopped being a net food exporter, but that might not have suited the interests of the landlords and merchants.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  Is it really necessary for people to get so angry?
                  I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    The trouble is, if you stop the aid, then the little bit of help that genuinely needy people get will come to an end and the people working at the bottom end in those luxury hotels will lose their jobs. Sure I think it's a strange set of priorities for the Indian government to run a Mars mission while there are tens of millions of Indians struggling for something to eat, put a roof over their heads and get basic healthcare, but foreign aid and the abuse of aid isn't such a black and white issue as some people in politics and the meejah would have you believe.
                    Indeed, and if you stop the aid, it's not like the Indian government are suddenly going to think "Tulip, we'd better not spend that money on the Mars mission now".

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      the Irish could have diversified crops

Comment

Working...
                      X