• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you pass a Cambridge University interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    As the only possible solution to let anyone know their hat colour would be that the prisoner at the back can see 2 red hats and thus knows his hat is green
    The guy in the middle knows this, so he knows that if the guy behind him is silent and he can see a red hat his hat must be green. So in that case he would say green.

The guy at the front knows this, so he knows his hat isn't red.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

ta!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I got q7 wrong - (and many others) but this one puzzled me. ..
        I fell down on a couple of the more arithmetic ones, due to stupid slips, but the hats one seemed fairly easy.

If the guy at the back sees two red hats then he can deduce his is green and call that out. So from his silence, the two guys in front of him know that they don't both have red hats.

But that being so, if the middle guy sees the front guy wearing a red hat he knows his own hat must then be green, and _he_ can call out.

So if neither of these guys calls out, the guy at the front can conclude he is not wearing a red hat (as the preceding two cases cover all possibilities of the front two guys with the front one wearing a red hat, namely front/middle = red/red or red/green).
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I'm not smart enough..

Could you pass a Cambridge University interview? - Telegraph

Lost on this question:

Q.8 An unbiased cubic die has numbers 1 to 6 inscribed on each side. On average, how many rolls will you need in order to get a 6?

Well I answered 1 instead of 6 given that the numbers 1 through 6 and inscribed on each side? But no...

Thickos can't even write the question properly.
          I got a blue at Oxford

If I would have hit it a bit harder I would definitely have got position on the pink and then potted the black

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Imagine the air was water, which would all want to slosh to the back, making the balloon "float" to the front, as the truck lurched forward
            but wouldn't inertia effectively make the balloon appear to go backwards? Depends if the air pressure is greater than inertial forces?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              but wouldn't inertia effectively make the balloon appear to go backwards? Depends if the air pressure is greater than inertial forces?
              It's counter-intuitive, but I get the gist of this: the helium balloon is trying to abstract away all the mass type interference.

A better example is here:

Einstein: The elevator, the rocket, and gravity: the equivalence principle
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                The air has more inertia than the balloon
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Really?
                  Yes. The answer I gave was 2/3 - the nominally correct answer. However, it is strictly an infinite series. It will only be 2/3 if both drinkers have the same number of turns.

The pedantic issue I am getting at is it depends upon the definition of negligible, that would normally be defined as having no bearing on the required precision of the result. However since it is "some" the 2/3 and 1/3 cannot be satisfied unless both have had the same number of turns.

Sure, it tends to 2/3 and 1/3 which is how I would have been required to write the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    The air has more inertia than the balloon
                    A practical demonstration

Driving a Car with a Helium Balloon: Physics - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                      I got 80%

But then I DID pass a Cambridge interview, back in 1988
                      I got 100%. But... I did know some of the answers already. (I passed a Cambridge interview in 1987 - and went to Oxford instead).*

* Only one the facts in that sentence is true.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X