• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bedwetting about another PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Haha, I do like how aussielong's quote fail makes it look like its MP who's perving.
    Yes, I spotted that!
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

[QUOTE=MaryPoppins;1829861]
      Originally posted by aussielong View Post

If it's not personal, why do you cry about the neg reps I leave you?

heh heh,
      does he cry like a baby
      whine like a gimp
      or whinge like an aussie
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

[QUOTE=MaryPoppins;1829861]
        Originally posted by aussielong View Post

If it's not personal, why do you cry about the neg reps I leave you?

I'm asking the questions sweetheart.

How old are you? Are you courting yet?

Do you like nappy photos? Do you want to see my p0rno chad?

Comment

I've got a feeling I've read this thread before.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I've got a feeling I've read this thread before.
            Ahh thanks buddy. There I was feeling sorry for myself then you come lomping along in your size tens and remind me it could be worse.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

a) The statement of work for the external company is far too light, has massive gaps. Lots of eye rolling. Sat them down today and took them through it kicking and screaming. By the end of it they were much quiter and much more compliant. The message was clear, you ****ed this up lads and I just saved your bacon.
              I think this is part of your problem, suity - you want to play the hero, so you set up a situation where it is quite clear they're wrong and you're right. This is pretty poor change management technique and sets up conflict and resentment, rather than an environment where they move toward your position and you gain a shared understanding of the best way forward, with them properly bought in.

I've turned around what sounds like a worse project than this, admittedly as a replacement PM, but also doing the BA work, testing etc etc. It would have been all too easy to walk in and point out what a terrible job they had all done and how I was the man to whip them into shape, but then when it came to the really ugly stuff swept under the carpet (clinically dangerous data migration and a couple of other strands) they would have been completely resistant to addressing it, but as it was I had enough social capital to engage them in the problem and solution. So in the end, a small team of us got the project over the line, I made sure that my business colleagues got the credit publicly, made sure that the previous PM (who was a decent chap but just out of his depth) got invited to the post-project dinner and everyone is happy.

And they keep inviting be back for further contract work.

Comment

ask the PM if they are working agile, if he says yes ask him where the backlog is
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                X