• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ctrl+Alt+Del was a mistake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    What is he calling it when we press the Start button to switch the machine off?
    Ah, that is logical; 'Start turning off the computer', seeing as that can take bloody ages with a windows machine.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      the argument I first heard for this was that it meant a log on and reboot should be concious decision not a random keypress therefore all 3 fingers were needed.

Not sure life would have been the same if we hadn't had the 'three fingered salute'.
      They obviously never thought of cats

When the missus forgets to lock the pcs, I've seen the screen flipped upside down, the pc shutdown or restarted...it's only a matter of time before they hit ctrl-alt-del
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        Think she was calming her nerves really after this....Linky
        Spot on. But not with tupperware.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          They obviously never thought of cats

When the missus forgets to lock the pcs, I've seen the screen flipped upside down, the pc shutdown or restarted...it's only a matter of time before they hit ctrl-alt-del
          Mine leave the computers alone and prefer to sit on books; Testermog Minor has recently sat on two books about space exploration, one book about industrial software and the Economist yeearbook. She's quite learned for a 3 year old. The other one, Testermog Major, tends to sit on cookbooks, which is quite appropriate for her build.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            What is he calling it when we press the Start button to switch the machine off?
            you have to start somewhere even when your starting to switch the machine off.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Look, shiny!!!!

On topic though, Gates was wrong, a single button would have been a nightmare for support people. While the 3 finger salute could be considered clunky it had a safety factor that before the days of autorecovery of documents and software that didn't need re-installing if the machine crashed was useful.
              It wasn't a bad idea to use it to access the task manager tools.
              Why would a single button to log in have been a nightmare for support, or needed a safety factor? The worst that could happen is that you accidentally pressed it when you didn't want to log in

To repeat myself, for the benefit of those who didn't RTFA: Gates never said Ctrl-Alt-Del was a bad choice for a reset, he said it was a bad choice for logging in.

Comment

I always had assumed the choice was because they needed a key-combo that couldn't be trapped by a (trojan) program to bring up a fake login prompt for capturing passwords.

Comment

Did RTFA - if you have max 3 logons then one key press activates and a return counts as a login.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

That was indeed a mistake. One of the many.

A total utter disaster was to let Ballmer run the company!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      That was indeed a mistake. One of the many.

A total utter disaster was to let Ballmer run the company!
                      Every time I read one of your posts a little bit of me dies. Your like the evil bringer of miserableness.

Comment

Working...
                      X