• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Du aber Sie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I think thee is an object pronoun - i.e. I giveth to thee, whereas Sie/du/vous/tu are subject pronouns, at least in the context we're talking about here. So you're completely wrong....
    Don't thee thou me, thee thou thyself, and see how thee like it - as we used to say in Barnsley.

Du/Sie are nominative pronouns. Thee is accusative (and dative, often in practice used in the nominative), equivalent to dich/Sie. Therefore I should have said
    Du/Sie is no more difficult than thou/you.

So I think "you're completely wrong" is a little overstating the case.

For completeness, thy and thine are both genitive - i.e. possessive. Thine is commonly (but not exclusively) used before a word beginning with a vowel.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Grammar, grammar, grammar, grammar...
      WHOOSH....
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Again I'm reminded how old the language is. Something that can be right odd when using an modern English word in conversation.

Recently I said to a neighbour, 'you're taking the Micky' the response: "Who is Micky and where am I taking him?"
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Don't thee thou me, thee thou thyself, and see how thee like it - as we used to say in Barnsley.

Du/Sie are nominative pronouns. Thee is accusative (and dative, often in practice used in the nominative), equivalent to dich/Sie. Therefore I should have said
          Du/Sie is no more difficult than thou/you.

So I think "you're completely wrong" is a little overstating the case.

For completeness, thy and thine are both genitive - i.e. possessive. Thine is commonly (but not exclusively) used before a word beginning with a vowel.
          Okay, you were only completely wrong based on the words that you used. Substituting different words to the ones that you used, and you would be right.

But the comparison with thou/you isn't accurate, as du/tu are in every day usage, whereas in English, thou is not. The choice of thou or you isn't difficult at all; not if you're in the 21st century.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Same object, different case. But if you can't see the difference, then that's fine; only to be expected from the monolingual. Den Mann beißt der Hund.

Thee/thou etc. is still in use in Yorkshire.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              The choice of thou or you isn't difficult at all; not if you're in the 21st century.
              Thee/thou etc. still in use in Yorkshire.
              Exactly.

Comment

Same object, different case. But if you can't see the difference, then that's fine; only to be expected from the monolingual. Den Mann beißt der Hund.

Thee/thou etc. is still in use in Yorkshire.
                Is thatnot "der Mann beisst den Hund" ?

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                  It's very simple. It's 'Sie' unless they say 'du ist ok', in which case 'du' is ok.
                  "Wir sind per du." - Anrede: Per Du mit dem Chef | ZEIT ONLINE
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I picked you up on your mistake and I'm the one that can't see the difference? Is it nice on your planet?

And I know all about the horrors of Den Mann beißt der Hund (which means the dog bites the man, and not the man bites the dog as any reasonable person used to speaking any reasonable language would assume). How about Die Frau beißt die Katze?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Ask Suity, he'll know the ins und aus of these things...
                      Very droll, und alzo correct. It's a generation thing really. If you are of the modern generation then you would duzen everyone as they are pretty relaxed about this kind of stuff. Of course you would use Sie if talking to a senior boss, or policeman etc.

Again, also if you were quite young and a pensioner asked you to stop kicking the ball against the wall the youngster would be expected to use Sie.

The concept of using Sie for folks you don't yet know has been largely pretty much relaxed.

In SS's case, he is right as the cleaner would use Sie as he is paying her for a service. Just as a waiter would call you sir. The fact that she has relaxed it means she see's SS is quite chilled out and therefore can chill out too.

Klar?
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X