• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying prescription Glasses online.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If they aren't right, send them back for your money back. I'm not sure how that's much different from a high street optician (assuming high street opticians offer a 100% money back guarantee).
    They have an incomplete specification to build so I wouldn't go near them.

A lot of varifocals are built sub-optimally and in any case take a while to get used to, so the first respeonse from the supplier is usually to give them a couple of weeks. But a professional optician will first check the prescription, positioning of lenses and fitting of frames.

There really is a good chance that you will end up with specs that you can muddle along with but who've could be a lot better.

But you pays your money...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Having worked in the industry I would avoid the budget chains. My mum got a terrible thick lensed pair from a prominent chain. I went in with her to get it sorted. The Dispensing Optician explained that it was due to the prescription. I have him enough rope to hang himself before making him shrivel up in professional frame and agree to replace lenses.
      I used specsavers to get my frames re-glazed and the thinner option was the exact same Pentax lens as the more expensive private optician, they're perfect.

I do struggle to see how they can provide a good pair of glasses for £40 but when you go up the price range the lenses are better.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I used specsavers to get my frames re-glazed and the thinner option was the exact same Pentax lens as the more expensive private optician, they're perfect.

I do struggle to see how they can provide a good pair of glasses for £40 but when you go up the price range the lenses are better.
        If you are shortsighted, getting the lens thickness right is easier than if you're longsighted. But these guys don't get everything wrong. The problem is some branches used to use unqualified lab technicians. Don't know how things have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          If you are shortsighted, getting the lens thickness right is easier than if you're longsighted. But these guys don't get everything wrong. The problem is some branches used to use unqualified lab technicians. Don't know how things have moved on.
          I've used Specsavers for 20 years and have never had a problem with them.

And that's needing high index varifocal torex lenses.

They cost an arm and a leg though...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Didn't we already settle the issue in this thread:
            http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...cs-online.html

EDIT: I forgot that a proper n00b never uses the search function.
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I've been using GlassesDirect for years with no problems. But then I only need glasses when driving at night or in the cinema (slightly short-sighted) so I don't need them to be brilliant. They seem Ok though - avoid the plastic ones. And you can return them and exchange if you don't like them
              FFS if you are driving in the cinema you damn sure need glasses!

Comment

I used to drink with a guy who made glasses for independent opticians, they sent the spec and he made lenses and fitted to frames. He would do me a pair at a 10th of the price of the opticians, bought a selection of frames around and measured arm length overall width, etc. which was more than the opticians ever did.

Glasses are a complete rip off, especially the designer ones. There again, designer anything is a rip off. When I see a woman on her iphone with her Chanel glasses, DKNY watch and Mulberry handbag I avoid them like the plague. At least pick designer goods that the designer is famous for, not just added their name to a random product for the money.

They obviously pick up on this, why else would they ignore an old, fat, brummie

Comment

Working...
                X