• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steve Ballmer is to retire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Microsoft still had near monopoly in last decade, so a monkey could have run it -

That was Ballmer.

And this was genious -

But you didn't run it? So where did you go wrong?

Why the negativity towards people who create jobs and who create wealth?
    sasguru says:
    Yes but you are quite limited after all
    Answers on a postcard please!

Comment

Originally posted by ExPermie View Post
      Why the negativity towards people who create jobs and who create wealth?
      Ballmer's leadership is responsible for a lot of job losses in anything related to Microsoft (including the firm itself), wealth was eroded as Microsoft technologies that a lot of people invested lots of money into are becoming less and less valueable.

They lost developers who now target other platforms - Windows is no longer a desireable target.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        I just find it slightly sad the amount of vitriol there is about a guy who was running a business.

Not a business that killed puppies, shat on your lawn or kicked your mum in the crotch - a business that sold software and computer hardware.

He may or may not have done a good job, but it's not like he planted bombs in every piece of hardware or took all your money out the bank (at worst your shares in the company didn't make as much money as you may have wanted). Did anyone here work personally with him or get a chair thrown at them? No? Has anyone here run a business as successfully as him? Ignore the share price (a subjective view) and look at revenue and profit growth (objective facts).
        I agree with this, it's freakin disgusting how some have applauded this guy's demise? They behave like this was some tosser parachuted into a bailed out bank who then did fack all and then walked away with a taxpayer funded million quid bonus???

Yet the likes of Ballmer were employee number 30 in a small company in 1980 who then went on to be part of a product innovation and paradigm shift which created jobs and wealth!

Oh..,but even a monkey could have done it...LOL

Oh...they had a monopoly...but in a free market, the same market which saw Apple rise, fall, rise, fall and then rise again.

FFS...do the detractors here vote Labour?
        Last edited by ExPermie; 23 August 2013, 22:21.
        sasguru says:

Comment

Yet the likes of Ballmer were employee number 30 in a small company in 1980 who the went in to be part of a product innovation and paradigm shift which created jobs and wealth!
          He was not CEO at the time.

All the biggest failures of Microsoft were in last decade when he run the firm.

The only reason revenues gone up is because Microsoft had Windows monopoly and Office was still considered an essential tool.

Comment

Ballmer's leadership is responsible for a lot of job losses in anything related to Microsoft (including the firm itself), wealth was eroded as Microsoft technologies that a lot of people invested lots of money into are becoming less and less valueable.

They lost developers who now target other platforms - Windows is no longer a desireable target.
            Employee number 30
            Employed Since 1980

Do you not think he was part of restructures prior to his tenure as CEO?

How many jobs was he responsible for creating since 1980?

Think about...helpdesk, desktop support, infrastructure, developers, hardware engineers, sales, presales, architects...

Now how many indirect jobs?
            sasguru says:

Comment

+1000 on that!

My previous permie role saw us move from a Unix based logistics solution to an Oracle solution which sat on Red Hat Linux.

Christ on a bike, the support and licensing costs for the Red Hat solution was over double the cost of our Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter license, an MS license which came with support and unlimited VMs on the ESXi host, yet the Red Hat costs were just for one instance?

So the business paid this massive yearly cost and all we got was tulip support, "umming" and "arring" along with "we think it's a VMware issue" plus something like 2.5 million security patches per day!

Complete and utter tulipe!

And then to top it all off, the developer then admits "yeah, we could get this to work on a Windows box but the boss hates Microsoft"...WTF?

I'm sorry, but these Linux freaks are just a danger to the business world!
              such a troll. Run along shouldn't you be in bed

Trouble is most windows mousy clickers can't see the true cost of the crap they shovel out of microsoft's technet vaults, licensing is the very least of the costs. Exchange is a joke. I can build a mail server in no more than 100 meg of Linux packages it will scale and is able to support 10 of 000's of users. No cals and no humongous backend charges. Want a web server? well i can do a fully functioning HTTP server with CGI and toys in about 26 meg... Why the **** would I want to waste 100gb minimum on a microsoft stack when I am paying hundreds of pounds per GB in SAN overhead?

The trouble is that microsoft have bought the university market and so all the little pups come out with lobotomy scars and a MCSE badge. The true test is to see what the startup markets are running when they don't have a few million to go straight for the microsoft fridge.

Take windows into a cloud environment I can burst a tight Linux image and have my web servers scaling every two minutes to meet growing traffic. So I get to flex much slower than waiting 17 minutes for a windows equivalent to to boot how do you handle peak traffic when you are always 20 minutes behind the wave of users?

By the way you can demonstrate that fact to yourself because both images are sat free to use in the ASW market place so you really don't need to take my word for it... you can watch the time it takes to commission the servers yourself.

I can fully script my builds and the communities are well founded with lots of contributors that means for most of what I want to do there is already free code to get me started, Lets not even start talking about Puppet or Chef configuration.

I did some rationalisation work for a client had swallowed the SQL server is cheap Oracles expensive bulltulip and had over 500 separate sql databases when Oracle was free for us because they gave us site wide enterprise licence with support and all the toys for less than £3 a head. the Sql equivalent was costing us more than oracles Standard CPU speed x £25k x 1.75 so your argument about Linux/Wintel costs is just so far off its splitting my sides.

By the way Balmer was always a Knob and anyone that gets that far up the chain and is still throwing chairs at the staff needs a psych order against them...

Comment

He was not CEO at the time.

All the biggest failures of Microsoft were in last decade when he run the firm.

The only reason revenues gone up is because Microsoft had Windows monopoly and Office was still considered an essential tool.
                Total bollox again, once again:

Under Ballmer's tenure as CEO, Microsoft’s annual revenue surged from $25 billion to $70 billion, while its net income has increased 215 percent to $23 billion. Although these gains have come from the existing Windows and Office franchises, Ballmer also built new businesses such as the data centers division ($6.6 billion in profit for 2011) and the Xbox entertainment and devices division ($8.9 billion). In terms of leading their company's total annual profit growth, Ballmer’s tenure at Microsoft (16.4 percent) has surpassed the performances of other well-known CEOs such as General Electric’s Jack Welch (11.2 percent) and IBM's Louis V. Gerstner, Jr. (2 percent).[17] This diversified product mix has helped to offset the company's reliance on PCs and mobile computing devices; in reporting quarterly results during April 2013, while Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 have not managed to increase their market share above single digits, the company increased its profit 19 percent over the previous quarter in 2012, as the Microsoft Business Division (including Office 365) and Server and Tools division are each larger than the Windows division.[18]

Steve Ballmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please try and keep up.
                sasguru says:

Comment

Employee number 30
                  Employed Since 1980
                  And Sinofsky joined Microsoft in 1989, so what - he totally fecked up Windows 8 and pissed off developers.

Stock market got tired of Ballmer, so shares gone up when he finally got a kick up the arse.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    such a troll. Run along shouldn't you be in bed

Trouble is most windows mousy clickers can't see the true cost of the crap they shovel million to go...blah
                    I suggest you return to your left handed mousy clicking at RedTube.

But thanks for your concern about my bed...weirdo!
                    sasguru says:

Comment

Total bollox again, once again:

Under Ballmer's tenure as CEO, Microsoft’s annual revenue surged from $25 billion to $70 billion, while its net income has increased 215 percent to $23 billion. Although these gains have come from the existing Windows and Office franchises, Ballmer also built new businesses such as the data centers division ($6.6 billion in profit for 2011) and the Xbox entertainment and devices division ($8.9 billion). In terms of leading their company's total annual profit growth, Ballmer’s tenure at Microsoft (16.4 percent) has surpassed the performances of other well-known CEOs such as General Electric’s Jack Welch (11.2 percent) and IBM's Louis V. Gerstner, Jr. (2 percent).[17] This diversified product mix has helped to offset the company's reliance on PCs and mobile computing devices; in reporting quarterly results during April 2013, while Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 have not managed to increase their market share above single digits, the company increased its profit 19 percent over the previous quarter in 2012, as the Microsoft Business Division (including Office 365) and Server and Tools division are each larger than the Windows division.[18]

Steve Ballmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please try and keep up.
                      Feck me. Yet another mediocre opinionated cretin. There seems to be an endless supply on this forum
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X