• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cuk mafs quiz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it interesting that many people are using basic techniques for taking shortcuts on multiple choice exams rather than working the answers out. Says something about education in this country.

I would do away with multiple choice exams personally.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I find it interesting that many people are using basic techniques for taking shortcuts on multiple choice exams rather than working the answers out.
      That's cos some of us work in support. We love shortcuts

Comment

I think there is a difference between the purpose of the exam, and facing the same question in "real life".
        For "real life", if there is a shortcut which will provide the correct answer then I will use it, as the end goal is the requirement, not the process used to get there.
        For an exam, it is intended to demonstrate that you understand the process.

You see complaints from students that they "know more than their teacher" because they know a shortcut but the teacher is trying to use a more long-winded process. They don't seem to grasp that the goal is not the answer, but the process. Especially in maths, where each concept being taught builds on an understanding of more basic processes. I stopped maths after A-Levels, and towards the end was beginning to struggle, because I'd been lazy with some of the earlier topics. In some subjects your topics are fairly modular and you can drop into them in almost any order, whereas maths tends to be taught modularly (or was), but each module relies on earlier modules.

Comment

7/7

but I was a bit peeved when on question 5 they discussed 10 sided dice (D10,) but the photo was of 20 sided dice (D20) nerd
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

7. I did use a calculator for the trig one though.
            WHS.

In the exam they are given the formulae, so it's a bit easier.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

7. I did use a calculator for the trig one though.
              Yeah, though mine told me the answer was 1.05 not 1.08?!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The exam wouldn't be multiple choice and you would be required to show working.
                Showing working doesn't mean you MUST do it by rote though - as long as your working proves you understand AND you get it right. If you try to be clever and get it wrong, you will get no marks for working.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  You didn't know the cosine of 72 degrees off the top of your head? cretin

assguru
                  Here's a challenge - Find an algebraic expression for it, involving only whole numbers and square roots

edit: and plus and minus signs of course
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Here's a challenge - Find an algebraic expression for it, involving only whole numbers and square roots

JUst waiting for sas to google it and then call us all cretins.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

108 / 350

of course that's not strictly accurate.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X