• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants to make me permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WDAS - Unless you really want to go perm/love the job/level/opportunities, you need to leverage that demand into a longer contract (if that suits you), without upsetting the clientco. Forum is littered with those who have tried it, very difficult for mid/long term contractor to go back to PDA's etc.
    I suspect many would respond like this - "Are you ******* joking? If I didn't know I was leaving here in 2 months I'd kill myself now" (posted a while ago by unknown wag !)

Comment

At my first contract I was asked if I would like to go permie, 3 weeks after starting, politely declined.

They offered again at each renewal and I again politely declined, I left here after 3 years, and went back for another 18 months after completing another contract.

It's business not personal, so any manager who takes it as personal means it's probably be a good time to move on.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

If you think staying on a contract is realistic then I'd stay on a contract for a long as possible and ensure that you deliver enough value.
        The only reason I'd consider going permie is if you were interested in some business critical, board level roles that are not available on a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
          The only reason I'd consider going permie is if you were interested in some business critical, board level roles that pay a big tulipload of money.
          ftfy
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by LondonTube View Post
            Which would be the best approach to find out whether it is a budget problem? Honestly I do not think so, I just think they want to increase their profit, but who knows... I also know that the final client is really happy with me. I do not think they are putting pressure in the consultancy company (I am contracting for a consultancy company which is working for a bank) to reduce the costs.
            Seems to me it is def a profit AND a budget problem, both intrinsically linked in for a consultancy. They want to reduce their budget so they can maximise profit.

I'm not sure what you can do. Ask them outright and they may well bend the truth to get you to convert.

You say the end client likes you? Anyone there you can drop a hint to that could make it clear to the consultancy that you must be retained?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

There are some of us on this board who get bouts of shell-shock when that word is mentioned.
              Not many people can make the seemless move from contracting to perm, perm to contracting, it's a rare skill that only real men seem to have.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Not many people can make the seemless move from contracting to perm, perm to contracting, it's a rare birth defect that only real loons seem to have.
                ftfy
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Why do I have this running through my head to the tune of 'Daddy wouldn't buy me a bow wow'

Client wants me to be a Permie boy,Permie boy
                  Client wants me to be a Permie boy,Permie boy
                  I have a little contract
                  And I'm very fond of that
                  But They'd rather have a Permie boy
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Same here. At the previous place, I was offered permie at each renewal. I was renewed 4 times, and by that I was the only contractor remaining, and all others had been let go and replaced by permies. I decided not to renew after the last extension, before I suffered the same plight as other contractors :P
                    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

At the end of the day, if you want to go perm you work out your takehome from contracting at clientco and work out the perm equivalent to get the same and ask for that or a little more. Worked for me.

The fools mwuhahahaha!!!
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X