• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Continentals don't get it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continentals don't get it.

I spent a happy 10 minutes in Nestles sometime back explaining the cultural context of the UK Yorkie Bar ad ("It's Not For Girls").

A friend of a Portuguese chap sent him a bar and he was so amazed at the strap line that he showed it to everyone in the office and anyone who came to see him.

Everyone was concerned that the UK branch were about to be sued for millions or if it were true there must be testosterone additives in the chocolate (a truly brilliant deduction from an irony-free American).

As one of only 2 Brits in the office (the other one was a bloke and didn't feel qualified to argue) the whole office turned to me to judge my reaction to the offending bar.

I wait a suiting period (timing is everything) and stated -

"It's a joke". I then pointed out that British women are far too sophisticated to be offended by a marketing ploy. And the chocolate bar itself was cr@p anyway.

They could do nothing but agree with me...

"It's a joke". I then pointed out that British women are far too sophisticated to be offended by a marketing ploy. And the chocolate bar itself was cr@p anyway.
    It's specially manufactured so that women won't like the taste - leaves more for us blokes!

Comment

hmm

SS, this is not logical, its well known if it wasn't for the women the chocolate industry will just plummet... women consume more chocolate than men... so to dismiss most chocolate consumers doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Re: hmm

Ah but you know what women are like - you've probably met one or two - tell 'em they can't have something and they want two!!!!

Spod.

Comment

Re: SS, this is not logical

Perfectly logical - Cojak doesn't like it and she is a woman. A diver, actually. So it's only Yorkies, not the whole chocolate industry.

Comment

Peasants....(Excluding Wendigo who has hit the nail on the head )

Any connoisseur would know that anything less than 51% cocoa solids is just adulterated pap suitable only for the great unwashed...:b

Comment

You don't happen to be a mathematician/engineer, do you Wendigo?

No jumping on the false conclusion bandwagon for you...

Comment

As a marketing campaign it is perfectly logical.

Whether a Yorkie is or isn't "Chocolate" is another kettle of fish altogether.

Spod - In "Put your heels on Jaks" mode!

Comment

Working...
                X