• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your first computer program

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays programme:

>+++++++++[<++++++++>-]<.>+++++++[<++++>-]<+.+++++++..+++.>>>++++++++[<++++>-]
    <.>>>++++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<---.<<<<.+++.------.--------.>>+.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

me I think this reminds me of a poster but won't tell

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../85/Kaiser.jpg
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Space invaders in assembler on the Oric-1. Not written by me, but I have adapted it from the C64, which used the same processor, 6502. I then quit programming as I though the IT wouldn't last long, me poor Doof!
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Late 70's I wrote my first program on the schools 32k 2001-N Commodore Pet, to automate some of the tedious bit of gming Dungeons and Dragons

Ahh the days of Hunt The Wumpus!
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

My first digital computer program was written in FORTRAN IV on an ASR33 which punched the paper tape.

I discovered that " is different from ''.

Once you'd punched & corrected the paper tape, you loaded the compiler into the MOD ONE computer** via paper tape.

Then the compiler ran & used your program as input & produced an object paper tape.

Then you loaded the linker* & linked the object paper tape to produce your executable paper tape.

Then you loaded the executable & the MOD ONE computer crashed in flames.

It was ever so much fun.

*I'm not sure that it needed a link phase, but I've included it for completeness.

**The MOD ONE computer had 4k of core store & a VDU. The VDU was a sort of scope thing with a bistable screen that could show graphs & such like. It didn't do text.

MOD ONE is mentioned here:

http://www.tnmoc.org/news/notes-muse...omputer-weekly

Here's sommat about the CTL Modular One computer:

10Mb pdf.

http://www.redhawksys.com/index_file...20Computer.pdf

Complete with mouse nest in the psu.
            Last edited by zeitghost; 30 May 2017, 09:19.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              watch outs for Parrots.
              Is that because there's a danger of parroty errors?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Something in COBOL on a DHSS training course in 1986
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                  Something in COBOL on a DHSS training course in 1986
                  Hmm that's a good idea. Why doesn't the Job Centre just set up some outsourced call centres, stick the jobless in that and call it IT training. Then they can sit their with their baps out all day logging service requests for civil servants who's computers are running slow. That kills at least three birds with one stone.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Inspired by this thread, today I went to see Collosus. Magnificent.

Was Tommy Flowers one of yours zeity?

Comment

My first computer program was written in PASCAL language and it would ask a user to type in two numbers and then the program would output the sum

Comment

Working...
                      X