• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building whole-wall fitted shelves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I want all the shelves to be the same depth - about 6" as there is a boxed pipe that depth at one end. ...
    6" doesn't seem deep enough, unless all your ornaments are miniature porcelain bulldogs and snuff boxes, and all your books paperbacks.

I'd make it 9" or 1' and damn the boxed in pipe, or re-box it in.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Isn't there an app for this?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        6" doesn't seem deep enough, unless all your ornaments are miniature porcelain bulldogs and snuff boxes, and all your books paperbacks.

I'd make it 9" or 1' and damn the boxed in pipe, or re-box it in.
        Didn't notice that he wanted depth of 6 inches eek. Completely agree. The depth of my shelves in 14 inches.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

At only 6” deep make sure you fasten it to the wall, (mid & top) as the base to height ratio is skew & likely to topple.

Either use an Ikea like system or get it built to order: but don’t use a joiner or kitchen fitter, get a carpenter / furniture maker in.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Don't get me to do it:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Go to the UKWorkshop forum and have a look there. Lots of threads on fitted shelves and there should be some stuff on design as well.

And there is an app. The sagulator can be invaluable and save some embarrassment.

Comment

Why not get a joiner in to do it, your time as a contractor is expensive and given your asking about it on a IT contractor forum you will likely balls it up.

Comment

Sorry my mistake, it's actually nearer 10". The current floor-standing shelf we have is very deep so it looked less in comparison, but it turns out the shelves we have are more like 14". Which is way too deep for paperbacks, they disappear inside the shelf!

I reckon the 9-10" we actually have should be a good compromise, though the comment about re-boxing the pipe is't a bad call.

Now I just want to start drawing on the wall but if we end up delaying the work this wouldn't be ideal
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Now I just want to start drawing on the wall but if we end up delaying the work this wouldn't be ideal
                    You could take photos of the spines of books and stick them to the wall. From a distance, you won't be able to tell the difference.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Did a sketch on A4 (but an accurate one with measurements).
                      No backing just use the existing wall.
                      Don't make it too complex and you'll be fine.
                      Sas, did you actually have shelves fitted onto the wall then? I'm concerned the brackets would be visible. Or did they essentially build a big free-standing unit against the wall, so it's self-supporting rather than putting any load on the wall itself? The latter seems preferable to me personally.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X