• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cyclists....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Fully with the cyclist, imo.

Undertaking, no it's only ever overtaking. Should be made re-take the cycling proficiency test.
    So the guy should have gone round to the offside of the traffic as it slowed? Thats interesting. I would suggest that at least 70% of the cyclists I encounter when I drive in London cling the pavement regardless of what the traffic is doing. I almost got a chap the other month because I was indicating left and the idiot was still trying to shoot down my inside...

Comment

Fully with the cyclist, imo.

Undertaking, no it's only ever overtaking. Should be made re-take the cycling proficiency test.
      should the CPT be mandatory for all cyclists + TP insurance?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        IMO yes most definitely. Why should someone be able to ride on a road and damage my car or person with their bike and have no cover?

Comment

I reckon bus lanes should be abolished with dedicated cycle lanes like we have here.

Pavement / cycle lane / road.
          I would agree, I'd like to see some major roads disappear underground as well. Deconcretejungleization of London should be a priority.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

While I do genuinely treat cyclists as any other road user - albeit a very irritating one with a top speed of 17mph, driving something 7 feet wide and with no mirrors or external awareness - I have little patience when they put themselves in danger by simply ignoring common sense and sailing into problems of their own making. I almost got rear-ended by a 40-tonne truck recently because some anonymous lycra-clad loon cut in front of me and you routinely see them coming out of side turnings without considering that existing traffic has right of way and may not have the time to miss them safely.

You never see a good road user, only a bad one. Get rid of the 10% of d***heads on both sides and things would be much better for everyone. And the cyclopaths would lose their excuse for illegally riding on the sodding pavement.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              While I do genuinely treat cyclists as any other road user - albeit a very irritating one with a top speed of 17mph, driving something 7 feet wide and with no mirrors or external awareness -
              what is 7 feet wide? The cyclists? Do you live in. Area of high obesity? And if you refer to the car (which isn't plain to dejuice from your writing) why do you have no mirrors?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                I have that blooming insurance here. It's mandatory. Even if I knock someone off their feet stepping off the bus, they can sue me. But it's only €80 a year for the family so nothing.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  So the guy should have gone round to the offside of the traffic as it slowed? Thats interesting. I would suggest that at least 70% of the cyclists I encounter when I drive in London cling the pavement regardless of what the traffic is doing. I almost got a chap the other month because I was indicating left and the idiot was still trying to shoot down my inside...
                  Yes.

Clinging to the pavement is asking for trouble, you've no room for error. Drivers just don't see you that well from that angle. If you're in the middle of the road (my preference and have being do so for years myself) I guarantee every driver will see you and react accordingly. No one opens the door into the path of a movement object where you expect one. Likewise nobody expects a fast moving object between the cab door and the pavement.

The only time I've come off my bike when I was knocked off it by a bus on a small scottish mountain road. The bus rather than waiting to pull out, just tried to squeeze past me knocking me off for ten. Thud. Passengers looked back horrified. Luckily I seem immune to bumps whether it's on the piste or the road, and just got back on the saddle.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Murphy View Post
                    what is 7 feet wide? The cyclists? Do you live in. Area of high obesity? And if you refer to the car (which isn't plain to dejuice from your writing) why do you have no mirrors?
                    It might be handy if you do a spell check before you post. Or you can blame it on autocorrect
                    dejuice? seriously?
                    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Murphy View Post
                      7 foot is the supposed wide birth that a sensible motorist is supposed to give a cyclist because they are wobbly and go splat if you hit them.

Comment

Working...
                      X