• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green energy storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    If only somebody had forseen that.
    If we could manage a world energy grid or cross-continent power-lines, then this isn't a problem... the sunny parts of the world receive incredible amounts of stable sunlight and are typically uninhabited.

Giant water-splitting plants on the edges of deserts bounding oceans with gas pipelines seem plausible to me, but at massive cost. And they would need to be build at huge scale to make the infrastructure worthwhile.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I'm beginning to agree that with the assessment of KPMG that in 50 years, Britain will be the dominant power in Europe. It'll simply be because Germany throws away its advantage.
      We have a bit of a track record at that ourselves.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If we could manage a world energy grid or cross-continent power-lines, then this isn't a problem... the sunny parts of the world receive incredible amounts of stable sunlight and are typically uninhabited.

Giant water-splitting plants on the edges of deserts bounding oceans with gas pipelines seem plausible to me, but at massive cost. And they would need to be build at huge scale to make the infrastructure worthwhile.
        The Sahara desert is massive, I have often wondered why is not used for sewage disposal via pipeline. Eventually parts of the desert would become fertile.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

What a tulip idea.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Massive cost is relative. Oil exploration isn't cheap and the existing oil extraction, distillation and distribution infrastructure wasn't exactly cheap either.

I think the main issue is political, the people with the money and expertise don't want to entrust their energy security and billions of dollars worth of infrastructure to the North Africans. I can see one of the richer Arab nations taking this on though. A combined desalination, carbon capture and gas production facility would be a serious asset.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
            X